Chapter 1

Jade POV

My heart thumped in my chest as I woke. I checked the clock, and sighing I rolled out of bed, preparing myself for what I was going to do in the next few hours. Slipping into black clothing and comfortable leather boots, I armed myself with several wooden stakes, and my silver dagger. I sighed again.

Opening my door, I grimaced at the creaking noise it made. I tiptoed onto the landing, ever cautious of waking my sleeping sisters. I crept slowly down the stairs, skipping over the last two at the bottom because they creaked, a lot.

Unbolting the front door, I stepped out and locked it behind me. Taking one last long glance at the house, I sprinted across the front yard and got on my motorbike. I started it up, wincing at the loud roar it let off as I turned the ignition. Glancing around to check there was nobody watching me, I put on my helmet and sped off quietly into the dark.

Niamh POV

I woke suddenly from a nightmare, sitting bolt upright I tried to calm my breathing as my body seemed frozen with fear and my heart thumped in my chest, as if it was trying to escape from its enclosure within me. Eighteen or not, the nightmares still terrified me more than anything; not that they were imaginary nightmares, they were more like distorted memories of things in my past than anything else.

Yawning, I got up and walked to the bathroom, intending to splash some cold water on my face, now my body was actually functioning again, to shake off the last of the nightmare.

Having finished my task, I headed back to my room. As I passed Sarah's room, I stuck my head around her half open door to check on her. I may be the youngest of the three of us, but I cared deeply for my only remaining family, and I honestly would do anything to keep them safe. Sarah was, of course, sound asleep and snoring, as usual. I noticed she had fallen asleep with her headset still on and her laptop on her lap, rendering some video. I sniggered at the typical Sarah behaviour and withdrew myself, closing her door quietly behind me. Noticing Jade's door slightly ajar, I glanced inside. I was met with an astonishing sight; she was gone!

Sarah's POV

I woke up at some stupid time in the night, or morning, or whenever it was, to find my headset still plugged into my laptop which was probably on the verge of overheating; it had continued to render my videos whilst I was asleep. Sitting up, I reluctantly got out of bed. I unplugged my headset, and put that and my laptop away after shutting it down and praying that the battery doesn't catch fire. I then changed out of my jeans and marvel t-shirt into my batman pj's, which were far more comfortable.

Quietly, or rather quite loudly considering how heavy footed I am, I crept out of my room to get a cold drink, but as I did I was met with quite a sight; across the landing, Niamh was outside Jade's room, frozen in place and staring at something inside.

I peeked in around her, expecting to see jade sleeping in a funny position or something of the like, but instead I found no Jade at all. I froze in position, a frown etched on my face-as shell-shocked as Niamh must be.