30. Good news.

"I have good news!" I exclaimed through the phone, as soon as I answered Umniyah's call.

It was my break while I was at work.

"I also have good news! Actually, that's why I called you!" Umniyah replied, her voice filled with excitement.

"Okay, now I'm dying to know what's making you happy, so you go first!" I said.

"I just got engaged. Yesterday! I called you to inform you!" Umniyah said.

I squealed with joy. I truly was happy for Umniyah. "Details, girl!" I nearly screamed, out of excitement.

"Chill, chill! Anyway, I never knew this guy before, but he happens to be my mum's friend's son. His name is Usaym. Anyway, so his mum knew that my mum has a daughter who happens to be about her son's age and she brought his proposal. Usaym and I talked in Farshad and Muhammad's presence, and we both agreed willingly to it. Now we're engaged, but the wedding date is yet to be decided," Umniyah narrated.

"Alhamdulillah! That's excellent news, Umniyah. In sha Allah, may Allah bring khayr in everything. I'm so happy for you, and may Allah always keep you happy," I said.

"Ameen. Alhamdulillah. Anyway, now your good news!"

"I called off my engagement to Talal," I said.

"No way!" Umniyah said. I could hear the disbelief in her voice. "Did you really? And when?"

"Yeah, I did. Two days earlier. It honestly feels like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders," I answered.

"Oh, I'm happy for you, Al. Tell. Me. Everything!" Umniyah said.

"Well, all thanks go to Allah. So anyway, I had gone for lunch to a restaurant with my family since it was Eid, and Talal happened to be there. He was there with his girlfriend-" I began, but before I could continue further, Umniyah interrupted.

"Wait, girlfriend? Wasn't he like engaged to you? So where did this girlfriend come from? And isn't that like, haraam?" Umniyah asked.

"Yeah, that's what we all wondered too. He did have a girlfriend when he was actually engaged to me. Anyway, they didn't know we were there, and began speaking so loudly, we heard everything. Apparently, he was getting married to me because his parents thought it would be good for their family's reputation. And he promised to cheat on me with his girlfriend. And yeah, he also insulted me. So we all confronted him. You should have seen his face when he saw us and realised that we heard everything. I threw the engagement ring that his mother had given me, and called off the wedding. And both my brothers punched him," I narrated.

"Whoa! That's extremely eventful! I'm glad though, that you didn't end up with him, Al!" Umniyah said.

"I know. Alhamdulillah for that. Allah saved me," I said.

I wanted her to say something about Farshad. Perhaps ask me if she could talk to him. He had seven more months left before he finished but now I didn't care anymore. I just wanted to get engaged to the guy I loved and then marry him once he was done with his studies.

"Um, Aliyah? Could you give me your mum's phone number?" Umniyah asked.

"Sure, but why would you want my mum's number?" I asked.

"I, uh, need to invite her for my wedding," Umniyah replied.

"Umni? You haven't even decided on a wedding date yet! And besides, you can always invite her through me, right?" I said, suspiciously.

"Silly girl, Aliyah! I want her number so that I can invite her when my wedding date is fixed. And no, I want to invite my best friend's mum personally. And I'll even invite your whole family through her," Umniyah replied.

"Well, dearie, you can do that, but I doubt if it's going to be possible for all of them to fly over to your country for the wedding," I said.

"Let's see. But I have to invite her and your family," Umniyah answered.

"Okay," I said, and gave her my mum's number.

"Thanks, Al. Listen, I have a patient in a few minutes so I'll hang up now," she said.

"Okay," I replied, and she ended the call.

As happy as I was for her and as great as it was to talk to her, I couldn't help but feel disappointed that she didn't even mention Farshad to me. I mean, what I expected from her when I told her that my engagement broke was her telling me right away that she is going to talk to Farshad about me, and tell me that she won't allow me to refuse this time round.

If she wouldn't intervene, how in the world was I ever going to get married to Farshad? I was too shy to ask Umniyah to talk to him. I mean, I had enough self-respect, I could never ask her to do that!

Maybe she didn't even mention him because she had given up on me. She thought I would refuse again. But I wouldn't have refused! I had learnt my lesson! But knowing Umniyah, she wouldn't have listened to my refusal this time round, and would have talked to him anyway.

So why? What could be the reason that Umniyah didn't even mention Farshad to me, as in talking to him about me?

I suddenly felt so stupid! I was acting so desperate! What was happening to me?

Shaking away those thoughts, I looked at my watch, and I realised my break was already over. I rushed back to the workplace, leaving my trust in Allah. Because if Farshad was the right guy for me, then no matter what, I'd end up married to him, and if  Allah knew he wasn't the right guy for me, then I would much rather not marry him.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□

I know this chapter was very short, but for a reason. And it wasn't eventful at all.

But the next one will be better, I promise!

Anyway, gotta go, please vote and comment.