losing a friend

when you break up during a romantic relationship it's easier. those break ups are words said along the lines of "i don't think this is working anymore" when you're breaking up with a friend it's slower, gradual and no words are usually said. it just happens. slowly but you notice it. you notice the way the conversations become shorter. they become more scripted. there are less words. when you see each other in person it's less physical. there aren't many hugs. there is more space in between you while sitting. the sweet notes you would give each other are gone and the smiley nice texts havent been sent or seen in a while. you say you would miss each other if something happened to either one of you but you never ask how they're doing.

actually telling each other how things are going hasn't been seen in a while. all the answers are the scripted "i'm good how are you?". if either one of you was late to school you would get a text of if you're okay. now you get nothing. you used to make sure the other was eating but now they get away with not having lunch ever. you used to make sure the other was being safe but now you wouldn't even notice if the other wasn't. you used to care about each other. but now she only cares about you. and the friendship is lost but you don't notice. she does.