Chapter 6: The Dreaded Kiss

After the game ends and everyone comes back into the rink, we transition back into skating laps with everyone else. I can't help but smile as I look at Chase who is brimming with enthusiasm. His face is brightened by an award winning smile and I start to wonder if he really likes me. Sometimes I honestly can't tell with him acting so genuine but then he gets so flirtatious and his whole personality shifts. I can't seem to tell which is the real Chase.

After a few more songs and around 10 minutes later, a male speaker breaks the music  and clears his throat.

"It's now time for the couples to grab their partner and make their way to the arena for the couple's skate!"

Chase glances at me sideways as he tightens his grip on my hand. The song comes on and and I recognize the sweet tune.

"Now that the weight has lifted, love has surely shifted my way...."

I smile as I listen to my favorite lyrics from Train's song Marry Me but too soon, the song ends and we get off of the floor. The announcer states the allotted hour is over and asks the skaters to leave the rink so we skate out together take our blades off. Chase takes the skates to the counter and grabs our shoes, giving me the soft bunny slippers I had worn.

Silently, we head back to the car together. Once again, Chase opens the door and I get in but when he slides into his seat on the driver side, he doesn't start the engine.

"Did you have fun?" He asks as he looks sideways at me.

I nod my head and smile like a maniac.

He chuckles, "that's good. I'm glad."

With this, he goes to turn the car on but stops. He pauses before he speaks but when he does, the words spill from his mouth slowly.

"Hey Z?"

"Yeah?"

"Can I kiss you now?" he asks me, now looking straight into my eyes.

Blushing like a school girl, I duck my head down. I stay silent as I ponder that thought but after contemplating, all it took was a look. I lifted my head to connect with his gaze and suddenly I realize my answer.

"Yes"

He smiles as he slowly reaches over and moves his hand to my face. He tucks a couple of stray hairs behind my ear as he leans in. He inches closer and closer as our breath mixes into one and then our lips meet.

His mouth is soft and warm and I can feel his heart beat within his lips as we kiss. He moves his mouth against mine slowly and I realize I haven't kissed him back. Not exactly sure how its supposed to go, I hesitate. What if I somehow do it wrong or it's not what he expects?

Sensing my hesitation, he pauses and begins to pull back. Instead of letting ourselves separate, I quickly slide my fingers through his hair and guide him back to me a I place my lips back on his. I seal the connection as I place my other hand behind his neck and bring him closer. Now that we're both outstretched over the center console, I try to reach for his hands and move them to my waist. The kiss deepens as his hands move to my back where he pulls me against him and groans.

I feel our bodies connect as I put my hands back in his hair. Rubbing circles along his neck with my left hand, he begins to pull me across the seats to him even more. All I can do is follow so I slide into him not knowing what else to do since I had never been in this situation before. He begins to slide his hands up and down my back not sure whether to pull me into him more or to hold me there so I won't move back to my seat.

Deciding I needed air, I break apart so I can breathe and he begins to kiss behind my ear. He moves down my neck and back up to my mouth as we start all over again. This time I am greedy for more as I begin to take the kiss over. I move my mouth against his as I slide my hands down to his abs. Feeling his muscles, I slip my hands under his shirt and feel the soft skin of his stomach. Gliding upwards, I move them to his chest and my fingers brush against the short bristles of hair. By now my mind is completely invested at the task at hand and I have lost all control of myself. The only thing I can do is cling to him as I willingly give away my first, second who knows how many more kisses we've shared. Just as he begins to slide his tongue across my lips for entry someone knocks on the window. I jerk back and immediately slam into the horn.

*beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

My cheeks enflame with a deep crimson as I realize not only were the three boys from the game laughing right outside the drivers window, but everyone in the parking lot was now staring at us as well. I scramble over to my seat and Chase starts the car immediately. Removing the emergency break, he shifts into reverse and we leave the parking lot as quickly as possible. We drive silently down the road as neither of us want to start the awkward conversation. All of a sudden, Chase pulls into an ice cream store parking lot and I look at him questioningly.

"I told you, ice cream after skating. Remember?" He grins at me.

I nod and state, "I remember you saying that but...well, we just did something intense and intimate and I thought you were just going to drive me home..."

Chase looks slightly disappointed as he says, "Why would I drive you home? Didn't you enjoy it?"

"The kiss?" I begin. "Yeah, I enjoyed it but I can't hardly but I wasn't sure how to...you know, do it."

I look down awkwardly, not really sure how to explain that it was my first time.

"Why is that?" He asks.

I blush again as I look out of the window on my right. Mumbling, I reply "because it was my first."

Chase is dead silent and I look over to see his reaction. Staring at me from the driver's seat, his eyebrows are furrowed and he has a concerned look on his face.

"I just stole your first kiss with a bet?! If I would have known I wouldn't have bet THAT!" He exclaims suddenly.

"Why NOT?" I ask, slightly irritated because now he's treating me like a child.

"Because it's just wrong, it's not a proper way to experience your first kiss! It's supposed to be special!"

"Are you saying that THAT wasn't special?!" I ask, now shocked and kind of hurt.

"NO! Of course not! I mean...Yes, it was special but not in the way it should be."

Chase stumbles over his words as he tries to correct himself. He sees my discomfort and tries to apologize but I brush it off. The last thing I wanted was his pity. I sense his arm moving towards me but before he touches my shoulder, I lean away in rebellion. I look over at him and pout, teasing him for making things worse. Chase just chuckles and slides his hand behind my ear, letting his fingers slip into my hair, while he pulls me closer.

"This is how a first kiss should be, Zoe" he says heavily.

Before I could react, Chase connected our lips with a sweet, soft kiss and my body immediately melted into him. Instead of continuing where we left off in the parking lot, Chase lets his kiss fade and tries to pull away.

"Z, I didn't mean to offend you." He says, still 2 inches from my face. "It's just that I know you don't like me very much and I thought you would have preferred a better first kiss."

I stop and look at him, confused. Why would someone who acts so tough all the time care whether about what I would prefer...especially if this was just a bet. My mind reels with the possibilities of what this means and I want to shut my brain off so I lean towards Chase and kiss him back passionately. My mouth lingers on his for a moment before I pull back to explain.

"It may not have been the place I imagined or the circumstances I had thought but it was better than what I'd pictured it would be like. Don't ever assume what I like and don't like especially when it comes to you... It's not that I don't like you, I'm just not sure if I like, like you."

Before he could reply I quickly open my door and retreat into the fresh night air. I heard a car door shut behind me and I turn around to find him walking up the the sidewalk where I am.

"Now that that's settled, I would like some ice cream."