seven

It wasn't hard to put two and two together. There were only seven boys who witnessed Taehyung's rude treatment towards you. Out of those seven, only one of them knew where your locker was situated. That one person being the youngest of the group and the person who you had no hesitation calling a friend. 

With this said, it did take your rusty mind awhile to figure it out and you spent the majority of your last class of the day jotting down possible suspects. In your defence, your head was still reeling with questions from the encounter with Taehyung. 

With the package in one hand, and the lollipop in the other, you walked down the hall, carefully slipping past loud students and perpetually irritated teachers as you peeked inside classrooms to find the owner of your anonymous gift. 

Both of you shared at least 60% of your classes together - call it fate. (He preferred to call it a pain in the ass since that meant you would not-so-subtly sneak glances at his work.) That really only left a few subjects unaccounted for, and those were the classrooms you were staking out as you began your quest to find the enigmatic Jeon Jungkook. 

The image of parallel lines popped into your head. You wondered whether you would just barely miss him as he walked out of a room that you entered. No. This was Jungkook you were on the look-out for. He was usually one of the last students to leave the room, either due to his studious work ethic, or because he was just slow. No matter, it meant that you would be able to catch him before he escaped the school. 

First up, science. You stuck your head into the room, scanning its surroundings until your astute eyes landed on a diligent figure of a boy copying down notes from the whiteboard into his notebook. The class was almost empty, save for the teacher and a few lingering students who were cleaning up dirty beakers and equipment. Perfect. At least it seemed like luck was on your side today. You know, minus what happened on the rooftop. 

"Jeon Jungkook." You called out trying to grab his attention as you walked to sit beside him. In front of him, you placed the present and the younger boy's eyes immediately widened in surprise, as if he never expected you to figure out that he had done it. 

"You're the one that stuck this on my locker right?" You asked, a bright smile stretching against your cheeks as your fingers fiddled with the pink bow on the carton. Jungkook didn't need to say anything, his expression gave it all away. As much as he tried to suppress a gape, a boyish grin kept creeping onto his lips before he turned his face back towards his notes. 

"Thank you." Looking fondly at him, you couldn't help but bring your hands to his perfectly coiffed hair. It was just so damn fluffy and messable. You knew he would've made a fuss, but you did it anyway - you stretched out your arms and tangled your fingers in his loose curls, mischievously ruffling his light brown locks before the boy looked up at you with the biggest doe eyes and a mopey pout. Agh, my heart. 

"Just a verbal acknowledgement would've worked." He huffed, lightly slapping your wriggling fingers away from his precious hair. "Have you used it yet?" Jungkook asked, half preoccupied with his high school duties and half attempting to fulfill his commitments to his friend as he turned his gaze back onto his paper, hastily penciling in the rest of the notes so he could give you his full attention.

"Nah, I wanted to thank my mysterious gift-giver before I obliterated this pretty bow." You grinned, taking a quick sneak peek at his notes before he closed his book. It was almost as if he could feel your inquisitive eyes memorizing the answers he had written down. You wanted to frown at the missed opportunity but your focus was quickly pulled like a magnet to your candy that Jungkook had unwrapped and popped in his mouth. 

"Ah -- hey! That's mine!" You whined, giving him the dirtiest glare you could produce before a tiny smile cracked on your furious disposition, forcing your facial muscles to feign frustration despite your contradictory emotions.