nine

(mature content warning)

In front of you was a single die sitting atop a glass table. This was just a simple game of truth or dare. That's what you expected. Despite flaunting your fake resolve in front of the male, you had also reassured yourself that you could just casually choose to speak the truth after every round.

But, it seemed like Taehyung had already expected that when he revealed his trump card. Or more specifically, die. He suggested one small adjustment to the stereotypical drunk party game you two were about to engage in. If the die landed on an even number, you would be forced to pick 'truth', and if it were odd, you would need to do the latter. Basically, your dignity now rested upon chance.

"Ladies first." Taehyung said as he swept the cube up in his hands and passed it to you. You could see him attempting to feign a look of innocence, but from the way his lips quirked ever so slightly in the corners, you could tell he had ulterior motives.

Please, an even number...

You tossed it and held your breath as it clacked against the fragile surface.

Two.

Thank god.

The teenager crossed his arms and rested his chin on his hands as he slouched against the cool glass of the table. A small pout crossed his features for a quick second as he mulled over a possible question. If only he could look like this forever, you thought as you stared, rather blatantly, at his childish posture. It took all you had within you not to squeal at his endearing behaviour.

"Why do you like me so much? Is it because of my appearance?" He asked and the internal admiration you were feeling slowly shrivelled up into dust as his question played through your mind on repeat, striking your conscience at its core. Somehow, when he said it like that, you couldn't help but feel that your interest in him was based purely on his otherworldly beauty.

"Love at first sight?" You didn't know the reason. You wanted to tell yourself that you weren't shallow, but you had nothing to support your claim. It wasn't as if his stellar personality had won you over, if anything, it should've pushed you away with how coldly he behaved towards you.

"Our first encounter really made an impression on me." You clarified, trying to sound as if you weren't a superficial highschooler with a bad case of puppy love.

Wow. Only the first question and you felt awful. Taehyung had a way of doing that to you even without trying.

Taehyung bit the inside of his cheek as if unsatisfied with your response, but said nothing further before he took the dice and dropped it on the table.

Four.

This was more intense than you had expected. The boy looked at you with somber eyes as he waited for you to interrogate him with one of your many questions that bounded back and forth in your brain. You could ask him about his personality, his opinion of you, his background, his friends. There were so many options and you just prayed that he would keep falling on even numbers until you could finish your impromptu interview.

"How often do you do those kinds of things with girls?"

Oh geez. Why did you ask that? All you wanted to do was escape from that subject and yet it spilled from your lips, unfiltered and blatant just for Taehyung's ears.

He brought his thumb to his lips before chewing on the tip of his nail. "You're not the first, if that's what you're wondering." His words were softly muffled by his fingers, but they did nothing to curb the stabbing sensation piercing your chest. You didn't know what hurt more -- the fact that this seemed to be a normal occurrence to him, or the fact that he was able to do such things without feeling any kind of attachment to the person he did it to. Like you.