(2) THE SILVER EYED UNFORTUNATE

Caroline's P.O.V

"Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the circus"

Instantly the whole arena is full of excited cheers and whistles. The ringleader was a scary man despite his size. I'd say he was a good 5'2 which isn't bad but still not 'tall'. The man had a strange look in his eyes that made an uncomfortable chill run down my spine.

He gave a sinister smile at the crowd as everyone continued cheering. He stepped into the middle of the huge ring as the spotlights flashed and the booming speakers played 'circus music'.

"Welcome" he repeated, "Are you ready for a show?"

His question was met with a thunderous roar from the crowd. I unwilling let out a cheer myself. Layla also let out a whop next to me.

The man gave another cynical smile before announcing "Our first act is the Flying Freaks".

More cheers rang out throughout the tent as a pair of twins came out from the sides of the ring. The were both wearing the same outfit. They were wearing a skintight, black, men's leotard with red flames as decorations. They were identical in all ways they had the same eye color and height even the same hairstyle.

Both were rocking small mohawks. They were both boys I'd say a little younger than me. Maybe 15 or younger. The two boys climbed up a ladder and reached into a bag. White powder came out all on their hands' chalk I thought.

At this moment I had also noticed the different swinging ropes throughout the top of the tent. At the bottom lay a dainty net which I'm sure was put there just in case they fall. I felt my stomach lurch I don't think these people even care if they fall or not.

The twins looked nervous and scared. I noticed the ringleader give them a thunderous look which made them hurry to the edge of the platform they were on. They then took hold of each other's hands and did a huge flip into the air.

I winced at how their bodies moved and caught onto the ropes before they performed more flips and jumps in the air. Not once did they let their intertwined hands let go which was the scary part.

I let out a breath of relief as they finally finished their act. They bowed and darted off the ring. I noticed that when they passed the ringleader he took out his whip and whipped at their feet as they ran.

The crowd laughed. I felt sick and just wanted to leave. Layla must've felt the same way from the look on her face. She reached out and gave my arm a comforting squeeze.

"Deep breathes" she muttered.

I nodded "I know"

Five more performances came on after the twins. I gave a sigh of relief when the ringleader came back out and said "We will be taking an intermission be free to buy snacks and souvenirs"

Instantly most of the accepted got up and headed towards the stands outside the tent. I noticed some Unfortunates come in carrying snack trays.

"I'm kinda hungry" Layla said.

"Same" I agreed "We should just buy something from in here I don't really want to go outside"

Layla nodded as we both started looking around at the unfortunates who were selling snacks.

My eyes found someone with cotton candy and I felt myself lighten up. My happy mood instantly dampened when I saw the young boy who was carrying the box full of cotton candy. He was probably 6 or 7. I felt my heart hurt as I saw his face. A huge purple bruise was adorning his left eye.

Small scratches were scattered throughout his face. My eyes instant watered at the sight. Turning I smacked Layla and pointed out the boy.

I felt Layla tense in anger and sadness. I knew how she felt but the truth was we were both cowards for never speaking out.