(4) PEACE IN THE FORREST

Caroline's P.O.V

I don't know how long I cried. Regardless I was thankful to Elena for just holding me.

"Thanks" I muttered.

"No problem" she said.

Giving her a small smile I asked "Do you know what time is it?"

Elena tapped on her hologram watch and 7:30pm displayed itself in a beautiful purple color. Sunset was at 8:00 pm so I decided that it would be best to head out now.

Turning to my little sister "Hey can you do me a favor?"

She shrugged "sure"

Giving her a grateful smile "Can you cover for me? I'm going to go and meet Layla"

"Yeah just try to be home at a reasonable time because I'm guessing mom will want to talk with you later" she said.

I nodded "Yeah I'll only be gone for an hours tops"

"Ok" Elena said standing up. She smiled at me and left my room.

As Elena exited my room I got up from the floor and headed towards my bathroom. Grimacing at my puffy face and red eyes I turned on the sink. Cupping my hands, I brought the cold water up to my face.

I continued doing that until I felt satisfied. Taking a towel, I wiped my face. Looking back into the mirror I was more pleased with my reflection.

Walking back into my room I grabbed my holo -my phone if you will- and sent Layla a message reminding her that it was almost sunset. Holo's were basically the new thing. Nobody had smartphones anymore cause those were just too old.

A few moments later my holo projected up a message.

"Open" I said out loud.

My holo beeped before projecting a message up in bold blue letters.

I'm already heading to our spot. Meet you there.

-Layla

Deciding it was best to start leaving I grabbed my holo and exited my room. I passed by Elena's room and knocked on her door as a way of letting her know I was leaving. I snuck downstairs and quickly ran to the door. As silently as I could I opened it before dashing out.

Letting out a breath, I was finally relieved to be out of the house. My shoulders sagged as I relaxed. It was relaxing to just walk. I had now made it to a trail that led towards a small forest. Most would be scared to enter but I'd been exploring this forest since I was little. I basically knew it like the back of my hand.

Walking into the forest I took a deep breath. The entrancing smell of pine trees and nature filled my nose. I could never get enough of the addictive scent.

I continue to make my way through the forest . Glancing up I could see glimpses of the hues of pinks and purples from the sky through the tree branches.

Sunset was close I thought as I sped up my pace. Finally I spotted the familiar tree house in the distance. I climbed up the latter onto the platform. Making my way into the house I noticed Layla sat in a bean bag chair by the window.

"Hey" I called out.

She glanced up at me smiling before no doubt noticing something on my face and frowned "why is your cheek red?" She asked in concern.

I sighed "my mom slapped me for defending the Unfortunates"

Layla gasped "SHE WHAT!?!"

Shrugging "She slapped me"