Secrets Part 3

The thunder roared loudly after a lightning struck from the dark sky, waking Taylor up from a nap that she was not aware she was taking. She shifted on the chair and adjusted from her previous sitting position and took the book that was resting on her chest for her to put aside on the coffee table. She stood up, still feeling exhausted, but no, it was not just because of the previous situation she woke up into, it was also because of the fact that she wasn't able to sleep properly for the past few days. She sighed and stood to walk towards the window, diverting her attention towards the storm taking place outside.

Metaphorically, there has been a whirlwind of emotions inside her, she was lost, she could not find her way back. She felt guilty, the love of her life was fighting for his life but she still decided to leave. She was ashamed of herself, she was so selfish, she left not because she thinks it's what's best, she left because she doesn't want to get hurt again. Just as when Adam needs her, she ran away. Just as when she thought she just dodged a bullet, she only rubbed salt on the wound. She felt like she failed him and that thought lingers on her mind, haunting her even up to this very hour, and sadly, that's what's causing her to be sleep deprived. 

It has been 3 days since the accident happened and every single time, the more she tries to forget, the more he occupies her mind. But then again, what can she do? She can't just pretend like nothing happened, she was still hurting and she has not yet recovered. How can she? When there's always a photograph right around the corner, whether it was in physical form or whether it was a memory replaying in her head, there was always a proof that once, even just in a heartbeat, everything was perfect between him and her. Maybe it was not their last time that broke her heart like that, maybe it was the memories that hurts so much, it was the case that she has no chance of winning, it was the case where she would easily lose into because it has almost been a year, but everyday, there's still something that reminds her of Adam. She turned into a fugitive, with her hands tied around her back, the more she tries to break free, the more she pushes herself to suffer from self-inflicted harm.

A gust of wind blew against her, a shiver ran down her spine, causing her heartbeat to flutter. Taylor pulled her sweater that was already hanging loosely on her arms back to her shoulders as her cold fingers brushed against her exposed skin. She thought she would make herself a cup of coffee as it was relatively cold outside and it was just something that can warm her. On her way to the kitchen, she passed by the foyer and unintentionally, in her peripheral vision, she saw the emptiness on the wall where the framed sign that Adam gave her was previously hanged. 

She didn't look at the emptiness, she never did after the day she removed the frame and put it away to be covered in dust somewhere in her basement,  she thought taking that down would lessen the amount of her unresolved feelings towards him, but somehow, she can't find anything to replace it because it doesn't feel right. 

She retrieved herself from being preoccupied once again by Adam. She was really tired of all of the emotional baggage, nobody said it was easy, but the thing was, she can't break away. The next thing she knew, time already passed and she was already walking back towards her living room with her almost empty cup of coffee already in her hand. 

She was about to sip the remaining contents of the now warm beverage, but suddenly, her phone rang from a distance, shattering the eerie silence surrounding the atmosphere. She has been having the feeling that something's not right and the ringing of her phone only ignited her instinct.

Taylor retrieved the phone from being left beside the novel on the coffee table and saw Charlie's name registered on her caller ID. Her heartbeat escalated from there, thinking of all the reasons that could go wrong. She did not let a second pass and immediately answered the call as she understood that it could be an emergency, she put the phone against her ear and began speaking.