Chapter 13

I had been sleeping in the Park on a bench, waiting for the daytime guards to leave and trying to wake up before a morning guard came and found me before opening time.

Xavier always spent the days with me, sometimes we went into town and went to an icecream shop. The only problem was it extremely suspicious for a teenage girl and guy who were teenagers to be "hanging out," so we went in separately and then met back up anywhere where it wasn't crowded.

I had been kicked out for about 5 days now.

Xavier always insisted on letting me sleep where he lived, but if I was found...

So instead he always refused to leave at night, camping out below me on the ground. I told him he was crazy, but he always said I was the crazy one who decided to sleep in the park.

This morning I woke up on the wooden bench, my head hurting. I guess my jacket wasn't the best substitute for a pillow.

I saw Xavier sleeping below me, his breathing slow. I decided I could sneak out to find Brynne before he noticed I was gone. He wasn't stupid, he would know where I had gone. But he'd also know it was safest for me and him if he didn't come and try to find me. Although he would probably be upset afterwards, I had to see Brynne.

Not knowing was killing me.

I carefully stepped over Xavier's sleeping figure, using what little light the morning had so far offered.

I stepped forward confidently-

and then fell smack to the ground.

I looked back in surprise, my eyes wide, wondering what had tripped me.

I rolled my eyes when I saw an angry Xavier, his hand tightly gripping my ankle.

"Xav," I grumbled, "Let go!" I shook my foot, but he didn't loosen his grip.

"And just where were you going?" He asked gruffly, his hair flopping into his eyes. Normally  I would have inwardly thought how adorable he was, but I was too distracted that he had ruined my master plan...which actually hadn't been too thought out I guess...

I sighed, exasperated, then glared at him. "Don't play games, you know where I was heading."

He shut his eyes tightly as if he was trying to keep from bursting out. He took a deep breath, his grip on my ankle tightening. I inhaled sharply, his nails digging into my flesh. He looked down at his fingers, I guess realizing he had just hurt me, and guiltily loosened his grip.

I took my chance and wrenched my foot free, scrambling up and sprinting away.

I didn't have to look back, I knew he was probably looking at his hands, no longer holding me down, in surprise. 

Then I heard him call my name. "ANGELICA! COME BACK! TRUST ME, DON'T GO, IT'S NOT THE RIGHT TIME YET!"

I didn't hesitate or slow my pace, I just kept on barreling to the mouth of the Park, leading onto the road.

I suddenly heard him behind me, his legs pounding and his breath coming in short gasps.

I looked behind me and stared at him wildly, trying to accelerate farther ahead.

Damn his long legs, he caught up to me right before I broke free, jumping on top of me.

I shrieked, falling hard to the ground.

He held himself above me on his hands, staring straight into my face.

I growled, sounding more animal than human. What was wrong with me?!