Upshot

-------------------------------

The Richards' house...2 a.m.

" So that all happened tonight? You must feel like the bravest kid right now. " The mist dragon appeared on Ryan's lap.

" Not exactly...I was scared shitless. I just...couldn't let my team down. The last time I froze...we both know what happened. " Ryan sighed, " What worries me is that my blood was black. It's usually blue because I'm abnormal..then it turns red but...black...that's new. "

" Ryan, don't think on it too hard- " The dragon grumbled.

" I'm freaking out, okay! " Ryan slapped his palms on his face, " I...I...just n-need...damn it. "

" Ryan? Go to bed. " Max groaned on the other side of the room, the sheet covering his head. 

" You can't sleep either, huh? " Ryan lay back on his bed. 

" Ryan, after tonight...I don't know if I'll be able to sleep for a while. " Max replied as bright lights hit their window, " Ugh, Ashley is going to be pissed that I missed her calls. "

" Ashley? " Ryan turned over to face him. 

" Yeah, my girlfriend. Orange hair, adorable face. Yeah, when she sees my eye, it's going to be a long talk." Max grumbled, holding his phone.

" Hey...I..uh kissed Michelle tonight. "

" Oh...and how did that feel? "

" I- " Ryan was interrupted by the sounds of tires rolling in the driveway, " It..looks like dad's finally home. "

" Oh..." Max groaned hearing the car's tires screech, " What the? "

" Come on. " Ryan threw off his sheets and ran downstairs, with Max following.

" Ryan..your body heat. You need to relax- " The dragon expressed as Ryan ignored it and ran outside.

Ryan ran in front of the car, the light shining right in his face. The car had hit their mailbox, mud from the tires was all over the concrete of their driveway. Their father, Adam Richards, opened the door and stumbled outside before falling to the ground. Max rushed up to his dad while Ryan grabbed the handle of the car door, ready to close it. He paused, something inside the passenger's seat catching his eye. The boy felt his blood boil as he stared at the numerous beer canisters and liquor bottles in the chair and on the floor. His emotions started to take over, smoke coming from out of his mouth as he breathed.

BAM!

Ryan slammed the car door shut and grabbed his father's collar. Scales ran down his cheeks, and above his eyes, his teeth sharp, and his eyes were glowing. All he could think about is what if he died in a car crash. How could he be so irresponsible?! 

" Bro, calm down. He lost his wife; he's still trying to recover." Max watched Ryan drop his father to the ground. 

" He could've lost his life doing something so stupid. " Ryan grumbled before he stopped and twitched, " Three kids at home and he does this stupid shit.

" He's just finding another way to cope with the loss of his wife dude. You have your ideas of coping- "

" Don't. " Ryan's voice went gruff making Max jump, " Think about it Max, what if he died? Different story. We would've been orphans, and I can't lose another one of...-- Tonight has just been a load of shit, okay?! Life's been a load of shit recently! We've lost our mother, our old home, we almost died tonight, we couldn't prove ourselves as ready, and our dad could've just died on his way home too."