Group Project

Maya's POV:

The one minute warning bell rings as I step into Mr. Matthews's classroom.

I take a seat in my desk just as Riley gloomily walks into the room.

"Hey," I say, "what happened?"

"He-" Riley starts but cuts herself off when Lucas enters the classroom.

"Okay, everyone," Mr. Matthews says, "take a seat."

The bell rings and everyone stops talking.

"Today we will be doing something a little different than usual." He says.

"Today's lesson will be about teamwork. Your groups will each be assigned a country and will have to research how they used teamwork to solve their problems in the past."

My face hardens as I think about how horrible this is going to be.

"This project is due next class. If you don't finish today in class, you will probably have to finish your research after school."

The whole class groans except for Farkle who says, "Yaaaaaay!"

"I will write your groups on the board and everyone can come up to my desk for the directions of the project along with what country you will have to research." Mr. Matthews says as he turns around to the board to write our groups.

The first group of people he writes on the board is:

Yogi
Darby
Sarah
Charlie

The next group starts out with:

Riley
Maya

And I already know what's next:

Farkle
Lucas

Huh, I say in my head, maybe he really doesn't know what's going on.

After all of the groups are written on the board we go up to Mr. Matthews's desk and grab a piece of paper with our names on it and other writing at the top.

I sit down at my desk because everyone else in my group already sits around me so we don't need to move.

Riley sits down with her paper at the same time that Lucas does. No one makes eye contact.

Farkle sits down last and says, "Look, I know that we're not all getting along at the moment, but I would really appreciate it if we at least did the work as a group."

"Okay." I mumble. Everyone looks at me like I've gone mad because I never do any work in groups.

"What?" I ask.

"Nothing." Farkle says.

"Okay," Lucas says, trying to steer us back on course to the project. He reads the word written on top of all of our papers, "Switzerland."

After that I space out researching and before I know it the end of the day dismissal bell rings.

Riley taps my shoulder and asks, "You coming to the library tonight? We have a couple more things to finish."

"Yeah, sure." I say.

We turn to our desks to gather our things.

On my way out of the classroom I hear Farkle call my name.

"What?" I ask.

"I need to talk to you."

"Are you going to going to apologize for freaking out?"

"No-"

I turn my back but He says, "It's about Riley."

I stop in my tracks and turn back around.

"I'll talk to you at the library." Farkle offers.

I nod my head before turning back around and running up the stairs to Riley.

"Everything okay?" She asks.

"Yeah." I say. "Everything's fine."