Chapter 11

Kind

"Kenzie?" I called when I reached our room.

When I went in, the lights are dimmed, and I heard a sobbing.

"K-Kenzie?" Nag-aalala kong tawag ulit.

She was sitting with her back facing me, nang narinig ang boses ko, agad na nagpunas ng luha.

Na-alerto agad ako. "What is wrong?" Sabi ko at dumayo agad sa kanya.

She probably didn't expect that I'd catch her in this state, pero ngayong nandito na kami, I know it's time that we talk about her problem.

I did my best to make her comfortable. I closed the curtains; opened the other lamp para mas maliwanag pero comfortable parin ang ambiance; got a bottle of water for her; at magkaharap kaming naupo sa kama, she on her bed and I, on mine.

"Are you ready to talk about this?" I carefully asked. "I know something is bothering you this past few days but I didn't want to force you to open up your feelings."

Mas lalo siyang humagulgol at nag-panic ako. Is she hurting so bad?

"Hey... I just want you to know that I did notice you had a problem, it's just that I respect your decision to have time for yourself and I trust you enough that you'd come around and open up to me that's why I didn't ask you about it."

"I- I know. I know you very well, Aly. I know how kind and understanding you are. I know you'd think what's best for me. That's why, I'm even more guilty about avoiding you."

Hinayaan ko siyang makahinga at huminahon muna. I want her to know that my listening ear is ready for her any time she's ready.

"You see..." She started after a while of silence. "L-Luke didn't like me and it really broke my heart because he was my long-time crush."

My eyes widened a bit. "What about the—"

"It wasn't for me." She cut me off. "It was for someone else and he just panicked at that moment and the words slipped out of his mouth before he realized what he said."

Napaisip ako sa nangyari noong gabi, I knew something felt off.

"He did clear the misunderstanding fast though, that's what we talked about when he asked to talk to me in private." She continued.

"K-Kenzie..." I called, not knowing how to comfort her now.

Alam kong matagal niya nang crush si Luke, at kahit na hindi naman naging sila, I understand she'd still feel hurt because she invested feelings for him.

She wiped her tears away at mas mahinahon na ngayon.

"Don't worry about me, Aly. I will move on from him, it's not like he's the only guy in the world. We agreed to stay friends, though."

"What? Then wouldn't that be harder for you?" Medyo inis kong tanong.

I suddenly thought about the conversation I had with Caden last night. He wasn't wrong when he said it'd be awkward for friends to become lovers, especially when things turn wrong... like this.

"A bit, that's why I'm feeling miserable right now, but I'm working on fixing myself. I just want to be alone... sometimes but I don't want to end our friendship."

I nodded. "I understand. I hope for your fast recovery, my friend." I said and hugged her.

"Aly... C-Can I ask? What do you think of him?" She hesitantly asked.

"Of who?" Lito kong tanong.

"Of... L-Luke. Do you perhaps... like him?"

"What?" My brows furrowed. "No! I've never seen him in that way. You know I would never like the guy my best friend likes, Kenzie."