Chapter 14

The ride was long and silent, your eyes watching your palms intently. His voiced echoed in your head as you flexed your trembling hands. The man of your nightmares sat next to you, his arm slung loosely over your shoulder as though to deepen the fact you were now his property. His breath soon rank of booze, the glass limp in his hand as alcohol splashed over its sides. "Oh come on Kitten," he sang drunkenly. "Loosen up a little. I don't like my slave stiff as a board." 

His gaze lowered on your chest and a impish grin extended over his face. "Besides, this might be one of your last chances to choose yes." 

You jerked your shoulder away from him and zipped up your jacket. His brow set in a grimace as he growled at you. "I wouldn't have guessed you were such a shrew." 

"You agreed to the terms." You said bluntly. "Today, and for the first week of my working here, you can not make any unprofessional moves toward me with no repercussions. If you plan to act so, you have to  wait until the allotted time is over with." 

He pouted, looking at you with mock pity. "Oh yes, your 'probationary' period for adjusting." His hand stroked gently through your hair, securing a lock of hair and twirling it methodically around his finger. "Ah, only but a week before life will return to order." 

You remained silent as you looked at the package in your lap. It was the very symbol of your shackles, but there was only so much a canary could do to escape the confines of its cage. Your eyes were clouded in tears as your mind slowly regressed into the numbness that had almost always veiled your thoughts. Your body waved in your seat as the car arrived at the pearly gates of an estate too large for you to ever comprehend. "Aw!" Your captor yelled loudly. "We've arrived at your new home dear Kitten. My girls will show you the way to your quarters." 

As he opened the doors, you winced at the flow of pure light. Two long rows of girls stood parallel to the steps leading to the front doors, each young face faking enough joy to last another day. "Welcome back Mr. David!" They welcomed in unison. 

"Hello ladies!" He yelled, offering you a hand to which you batted away promptly. His face fell into a frown but he continued on all the same. "I've brought you a new sister to help you in your chores! I know it can just be so difficult to care for the house sometimes. Do not worry though, she has been in this field years! she's been very well..." His eyes glimpsed towards you, lips curling in an almost disgusted way at your attire, "trained."

Clapping sharply, he barked out the name Destiny and forward came a young girl wearing a uniform identical to the one hanging over your arm. "Yes Mr. David?" She asked lightly.

"Please show (Y/N) to her quarters. I must insist she change from those wretched rags as soon as possible. And see to it she is informed of the upcoming ball to be held. That will be all."

"Understood." She nodded robotically before turning to me. "Please follow me."

You nodded in mute, saddened gaze lowering to her feet as you brushed past Mr. David. His firm grasp snapped around your arm and you winced, looking back at him with a toxic mixture of emotion in your glare. "I can't wait to see you in your element." He mocked. "But do try to smile. You're much prettier when you smile."

Without a word you pulled your arm from his hand and rushed to catch up with the girl destiny. She was a youthful girl with skin like milk chocolate. Her hair was pinned into two high pigtails, short bangs overhanging her dark green eyes. She was of petite size, a small hop in her step as she led you into the winding labyrinth of a home.

After not too long, she opened a door for you and allowed you to enter before her. "These are the servants quarters." She informed you briefly, her grin slipping as soon as the door shut. "Your bed is in the far left corner. You can keep your old clothing beneath your bed if you like, none of us maids will touch it if you wish."