Chapter 16

Forewarning: This chapter contains content that may trigger some readers. Sexual harassment and name calling. If you are sensitive to these things, proceed with caution.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Mr. David clapped his hands sharply, narrow and dull eyes scanning over his buzzing army of slaves as they rushed around. All of their arms were brimming with pristine, lacey table clothes, bubbling pots of soups and other delicate confectionery. You stood silently at his side, arms folded before you and keeping your eyes forward.

A young maid tripped, spilling a pastel colored red soup on the floor. It wasn't much, maybe a quarter of a serving, but it was enough you warrant David's rage. You watched him stomp forward and crack a sharp slap across her cheek. Her eyes brimmed with tears as she uttered soft, begging apologies. Her eyes met mine, filled with panic and fear. You remained still, clutching your hand painfully into a fist.

It wasn't your role to intervene. Your job was to wait for Mr. David's word so that you may prepare yourself for the party. At least that's what your instructions said.

The maid scurried off, barely holding in a whaling cry. More maid came forward with cleaner, rags and Polish to wash away the soup. "I can not believe you incompetent excuses for maids! The ball is to begin in two hour and you're slacking severely. If everything isn't perfect I will personally take it upon myself to punish each and every one of you." David snapped at any girl who dared walk too close.

He stood next to you, making the others snatch quick glances your way. They all held the same emotion, pity. You swallowed a hard lump in your throat and lowered your gaze to your pristine hands. Your hands ached from practicing the tunes you'd soon play. Your eyes were sunken from lack of sleep and the once hopeful gleam that had once given you purpose had long since been extinguished. You drew in a deep breath, chest rising barely inside your tightly corseted uniform.

"(Y/N)." David said in a short burst.

"Yes Master?" You replied, tone sickening and sweet as you turned to face him. "How may I be of service?"

He grinned demonically, sinful hand curling around your shoulder and squeezing it. "I think it's time you went and got dressed for the party. Don't you? We wouldn't want the guests to think I keep poor company."

"Of course." You nodded, monotone in voice as you turned stiffly to the exit. "Right away master."

"Good little girl." He purred, chuckling as you retreated to the hallway.

Your eyes stayed ahead of you, glued to your feet as you place then one before the other. Left. Right. Left. Right. Your knees shook, clanging together beneath the tool of your skirt. You stumbled, hand against the wall to steady you. Left. Right. Left. Right. You fell into your changing room and collapsed against the door. Your breath rasped as though you'd just run a marathon. You looked up at the mirror and traced the trails of tears that dried over your face.

They never stopped in the first place.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Here's the prints you wanted." Alphys huffed, dropping a large stack of maps next to me.

"Thanks Alphys." I muttered. Standing up straight, I looked over the crowd before me. Each familiar face was fixed on me, emotions varying everywhere from determination to excitement. Lil' Pup was glued by my side, passing maps among our comrades. He was as bent on this as everyone else. Since he wasn't allowed near the action, he wanted to help as much as he could at base.

"Everyone listened up." I barked, taking a serious tone and bringing a hush to the room. My usual joking exterior had melted away. This wasn't something to joke about.