Old Scars

I remember now. The nurse had posted my picture on social media while I was unconscious. It was easy for any fan of mine to see my... you know what I mean. I looked down at my lap and Viktor looked over at me

"Hey, don't get bummed out. It's ok. We don't think of you differently." These rumors could easily ruin my career unless I did something about it.

"I'm going to get correctional surgery." I said suddenly. Both Viktor and Yuuri looked up at me.

"W-what?" Yuuri stammered

"Wait- don't do anything you might regret." Viktor had an almost sheepish smile on his face. I walked out of the room, a tear running down my cheek. I am biologically female, but I identify as a male. It just makes everything so much harder. People don't respect me and even leave me when they learn I'm transgender. I walked to the bathroom and got ready to shower. I peeled off my clothes and touched the scars lining my arms. They didn't go away. Then I checked the scar I got when I saved Viktor. It was dark and hollow. The one across my shoulder was just a white line now.  I turned on the shower and sat on the floor under the spray of water. I heard a knock over the noise of the falling water.

"Mokoto? Are you in there?" It was Viktor. He seemed concerned, just like that night two years ago. "Please, just answer me." I heard him sigh. The floorboards creaked. Was he sitting down? "You know, ever since that night, I wanted to pay you back for what you did. You basically quit the Grand Prix and risked your life for me. I never got to thank you for that." I sat in silence, my short brown hair falling in my eyes. He chuckled "You know, I never was any good around crying people. Should I just kiss you or something?"

"Huh? Viktor!?! What!? No!!!" I yelped, surprised by the dramatic change in tone that our conversation had taken on. I stood up and turned off the shower. I wrapped myself in a towel and quickly ran out the door. I slipped and fell, Viktor watching me. I quickly got up again and scooted down the hall, being careful so not to slip again. I felt a hand on my shoulder and stopped dead in my tracks.

"Where are all these scars from?" I turned around to see an unusual espression on Viktor's face. He looked sad but also scared. Scared? He began to trace the scars, his hand moving down my arm.

"Did you-?" He trailed off. His grip was strong. I yanked my arm away from him. His nails had dug into my flesh. They made a pattern of indentions over the lines of cuts past. I walked to my room. When I got inside, I walked to my closet. I chose a hoodie and some shorts. Putting them on, I looked in the mirror. I need a haircut.

~~~