Chapter three. A Guide

They rode all through the day, stopping only to rest the horses and refill the water skins. The were headed steadily east. But Daegon was still a day or so ride away, though Arthur and Merlin were keen to carry on, the Knights finally rationalised the two of the to stop and make camp, by pulling the card "you can't ride in the dark"

Merlin only realised how tired he really was when he began making a soup from the leeks and carrots that the servants had picked from the gardens that morning.  The warlock practically burnt the hearty mixture as he dozed by the fire while it cooked. It took Percival to remind him that he would sleep better once he had eaten before he hastily took the pot off the coals.

"This time guys- I'm filling my bowl first." He declared, spooning out a nice helping with plenty of carrot. He wasn't taking any chances this time- as funny as the Knights jokes were, being the butt of them wasn't all to great.

This unfortunate privilege fell on Leon.

It was the usual thing, throwing the owners bowl around, mockingly pretending to give it back, nothing that Merlin couldn't have a little chuckle at, but it did reassure him. If the Knights were making lighthearted jokes, that meant they were at ease, if they had been worried about or questioning the motives of the trip, they would have been tense, Merlin had seen it before. The support of the Knights, though they would never know it, made all the difference to not just Arthur, but Merlin too. If the closest representatives seemed to be for the peace treaty, not only would it set an example to others within the court, it would spread the word amongst the people. The Knights were figures of admiration, and the people of Camelot looked up to them- they were the life blood of the city and Merlin couldn't imagine Camelot without them.

Elyan was first to head to sleep, he had been rather quiet for the most part of the day, seemingly lost in thought. Though Merlin didn't know much about possession, he knew that the experience never really left you. When he had been controlled by Morgana, Merlin had assumed it was rather the same thing happening to Elyan. That had been until he had heard the Druid child's voice through Elyans mouth and the water that ran down his face and fingers, now he knew it had been different. Though by the way Elyan was acting, the after effects were much the same psychologically. That cautiousness that he had, the focus and intent. It was almost as if he had rediscovered himself, with a new trace left on his conscious- the trace of an idea. An idea to build a new world where the horrors of the Purge were forgotten, and all citizens of the five Kingdoms had the right to live amongst one another.

As Merlin sat by the fire, having finished his soup at lightening speed, Gwaine trod over from where he had just swapped with Percival to take watch on the other side of the camp. The Knight almost looked strange without a large tankard of mead in his hand, but that was soon banished when he came out with his trademark stroke of humour.

"Arthur, you planning on watching that soup pot all night then? Or would you like me to take over?"

Arthur looked around quickly, snapping out of the stupor he had sat in since they stopped. Merlin could tell he was thinking, and also that the King was restless. Maybe it was as he had agreed this morning- Arthur needed to find answers to his questions from the Druids. Merlin replayed the conversation over, it had puzzled him no end. Sure, the whole 'make peace with the Druids' was amazing, but there was a different feel to that particular converse, and Merlin was determined to find out why.

"Really, Gwaine, you don't need to." Arthur said adamantly, not bothering to return to the joke.

"Yeah, get some sleep, I can take over Arthur." Merlin assured the Kinght with a grin, but Gwaine plopped down beside the warlock regardless.