Chapter 3

*Ember's POV*
It's been a few days since I came out of my cave, and they've been interesting. Hiccup talks to me a lot, and he's different than the other Vikings I've seen. Something I never thought I was possible. He's convincing more and more that Vikings are not bad, but a voice in the back of my head still keeps me on edge that this is all a trap. Then again, maybe this is the real deal. Maybe they have really changed.
"Ember? Are you awake?" Hiccup asked, raising the floorboard up.
"Yes, I'm awake. What's wrong?"
"Nothings wrong. Just get up here."
I did what he wanted, and he took my hand and ran out the back door of their house and into the forest.
"Hiccup? Where are we going?" I asked.
"I'll show you. It's up here."
After a few minutes of running, we arrived at our destination. A beautiful cove surrounded by trees with a lake in the middle. The water looked perfect and clean. Sometimes, there would be little ripples in the water, a sign that it was filled with fish.
"Hiccup, this is lovely. But, why did you bring me he-" A flash of black ran past me and jumped off the edge of the cliff we were standing on. Toothless fell down the cove wall, and opened his wings when he reached close to the ground and glided over the lake, Hiccup noticeably sitting on his back. Toothless pushed his wings, and they began to fly out of the cove and into the sky. I watched in awe as they flew in a circle above me, and ended their flight right beside me.
"You ready?" Hiccup asked.
"To do what?"
"To fly."
"Okay... What do you want me to do?" I asked nervously. A surge of caution flowing through my body.
"Just run, jump off the cliff, and spread your wings. That's pretty much how you get started." Hiccup explained.
"Okay..."
"3"
"2"
"1"
We both took a running start and jump off. The adrenaline pushed all anxiety out of my body, and my heart beating hard inside my chest. Wind flowing through my hair, and pushing up underneath my wings. The feeling was incredible. I turned my head to Hiccup, and gave him a smile. He looked back at me, and returned my smile.
Then everything went down hill.
My wings began to falter, and I felt myself fall. I couldn't control my own body, and panic filled me once more.
"Ember watch out!" Hiccup shouted. But, I already landed in the lake with a giant splash. When my heart settled, I stood up in the lake, and I brought my head above water. I swam over to the side of the lake, and began to climb out.
"First rule of flying: Remember to flap your wings." Hiccup said with a chuckle, helping me up.
"Yeah, I'll remember that."
"Don't worry, you'll get it eventually. Wanna go again?"
"Yes."
And I tried flying again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
And again.
We spent hours upon hours upon hours trying to get me to fly.
"Come on, Ember. You can do this!" Hiccup cheered.
I took a deep breath, and cleared my head. I could do this.
I jumped off the cliff once more, and sped towards the ground. My wings snapped open at the last second, the thrill of the moment coursing through me. I glided over the lake, and started beating my wings before I crashed into the wall again. I kept flying up, and up. Higher, and higher into the sky. My blonde locks whipping all around, in and out of my eyesight. Soon, the air became thin, and I had to leave the exhilarating height. I fell backwards, feeling the wind push against me. I twisted myself forward and glided above the trees of the cove, just out of sight of the village. Finally, I lowered down back into the cove, and came to a soft landing.
"You did it!" Hiccup shouted, running over to me. "So how was it?"
"Amazing!" I really did it!
Hiccup didn't say anything after that. It got awkwardly quiet fast.
"Um... Hiccup." I piped up.
"Yes, Ember?" The brunette boy said with a red tint on his cheeks. Probably just because we were warm from flying so much.
"Thank you."
"For what?"
"For everything. If it wasn't for you, I'd still be in a cave, afraid to come out. You gave me a new beginning. Thank you for that." I said, my face heating up also from the exhilarating workout, and not the awkward situation.
"Hey you don't have to thank me. It's getting late. Let's get home before Dad starts freaking out."
I nodded, and we began the short trip back to his house. Luckily when we got back his dad wasn't home. We quickly sneaked in, and lifted up the floorboard back to my normal hiding spot.
"Goodnight Ember." Hiccup said as I made my way down to the room.
"Goodnight Hiccup." He put the floor back down, and left me to my own devices. Exhaustion washing over me, I walked over to the bed, laid down, and quickly into sleep.

*3rd Person POV*

"Sloan sir, we're nearing Berk's shores. We should be there tomorrow morning" A Stonehedge  clan guard informed the chief.
The man standing in front of him turned his head over his shoulder and smiled.
"Excellent."