Chapter 7 Unexpected Meeting

Hermione's POV

Two more months passed by quickly and before I knew it Christmas was almost here. I wanted to get Severus the perfect gift but my problem was that I had no idea what to buy him. 'I'm sure he would like anything from a friend of his Hermione as he has very few.' I mentally smacked myself because even though we had shared a drunken kiss a couple months earlier we were still just friends. I didn't even think he liked me more than that or that he even could considering Lily had died just a few years ago. That and he never had really gotten over her after their sixth year at Hogwarts. I sighed deeply walking through Hogsmeade. Just when I thought my search was over I came across the old book store I had been in when I met Remus Lupin for the first time. Well the first time here anyway. I smiled to myself at the memory of thinking how weird he seemed especially when he followed me. Figuring I might find Severus a really good book I walked into the shop. The bell on the door gave a slight ring alerting the store clerk there was a new customer.

"Hello dear, my name is Clarissa Starbrook. Welcome to The Book Emporium. How may I help you?" The store clerk said cheerily. I smiled back at her she was nice and a really pretty witch. Her hair was dark and pulled back into a bun. She appeared to be close to her late twenties or early thirties.

"Yes I'm trying to find a Christmas gift for...a friend," I said hesitantly. She seemed to notice and nodded.

"Does your friend have a name? It's just if they are around here a lot I may know more of what the person likes, to help you." Clarissa smiled widely. Oh dear she must have been in Slytherin.

"Yes, he's actually a Professor at Hogwarts." Clarissa smiled even more and virtually started to get more anxious.

"Professor...Snape," I said drawing it out as much as possible. I wasn't afraid what she would think but I was afraid she wouldn't want to help me find him something. Her smile seemed to fade a bit and she grew solemn.

"I know of Severus. I was a few years ahead of him in Hogwarts. Such talent. So sad really." She seemed to veer off and mumble to herself before her demeanor brightened again.

"Anyhow I think I may have just the thing," She said excitedly. Clarissa went into the back as I waited wandering around the front of the store.

I noticed someone watching me from outside the shop. I knew right away whom he was and I was hoping I'd never have to run into him. He opened the door to the shop and I turned back to the counter hoping Clarissa would hurry up. She seemed to hear the bell as she yelled from the back "Be with you in a moment!" This situation was making me very uncomfortable but I stood tall and pretended he wasn't standing there stealing glances at me. Then I noticed his son was standing next to him peering at me with wonder in his tiny eyes. 

He was only six years old and so small but his hair was still the same platinum blonde I remembered from his older version. I hoped he would be a lot less of a git this time around. I was dressed a little dressier today like many pureblood witches dressed so I don't think Lucius knew the difference as he had never met me before. However, I didn't think this meeting would be the last run-in with him either. Finally, after what seemed like forever Clarissa returned from the back smiling. She laid my present down on the counter and I told her I would like to look around a bit more to see if I wanted to purchase anything else. I didn't have to look up as I knew Lucius was watching me closely.