Chapter 26

“Claire do you plan to spend the rest of your life sitting on my couch?” It’s been a week since she started staying here, and I admit that I have missed her company, but this apartment is not big enough for the both of us.

“Does your boyfriend plan on coming over here every damn day?” Claire counters, with an irritated tone.

“Yes,” I nod simply causing her to roll her eyes at me.

“You really like him then?”

“I thought it was pretty obvious.”

She sighs, “It’s always hard to tell with you, Hell, I’m your best friend and sometimes I can’t read you. You should be a damn actor, you’re so good at hiding your emotions.”

“I want to be a writer not an actor.” Since I was a little girl I’d always wanted to write. I found it so peaceful to just hide out on your own in your favourite place with an damn good playlist running in the background and just letting your imagination go wild. You could create anything you wanted. With the characters I wrote there was always a piece of myself in them. They say write about what you know, and there’s no one I know better than myself.

“That I did know! I thought you had some interviews today or something?” She says sounding genuinely excited for me.  

“In fact, now that you mention it, I do! Two at the BBC and one at a magazine company in London.” Although I prefer writing books, it would be a huge opportunity to write for the BBC. That station is basically the heart of British television, and it would be such a privilege to get a job there.

“That’s cool, I hope you find a new job!”

“By the way, I’ll probably be going out with Harry later… so you’ll be alone again.”

“That’s fine, I need to catch up on some Netflix.”

“You need to get your own apartment soon, please! This place is so crowded with all our stuff.” I motion at the piles of dirty laundry scattered around the floor.

“I swear I will, probably next week, or possibly the next one.” She trails off innocently.

“I’m going to start charging you rent,” I warn.

“Are you trying to kick me out so Harry can move in with you?” She assumes.

“What?!” I exclaim glancing at her, “We just made things official!”

“Just making sure,” she throws her arms up in surrender, “never move in with a guy when you’re not ready because it will only start problems and then you two will constantly bicker about who used up all the toothpaste and who ate the other person’s leftovers and then next thing you know he’s cheated on you with some blonde bimbo fresh off the street corner,” Claire huffs angrily.

“Hm, well good thing we weren’t planning to move in any time soon,” I joke sarcastically.

..

Nearly an hour later, I’m waiting patiently in a large empty room with bland white walls and big plastic chairs. A secretary sits on the opposite side of the room behind a desk, her head down typing on the computer in front of her completely oblivious to my presence. My first interview is with the magazine company. Even though I was here for an editing job, I wasn’t going to give up the chance to show off some of the things I was working on.

My phone buzzes quietly in my purse and I search to find it. I notice my background. Harry insisted on having it as my background. I hated it because a pap took the picture, but I loved it because it was of us hugging. I had to admit, we looked adorable. I smile, holding a hand to my mouth so that the secretary didn’t think I was mental. My eyes then trail to a text from Harry that lights up the screen.