CHAPTER ONE - LET THE GAMES BEGIN! (Part 2)

(Part Two)

The beast to the left was the most frightening. Guarding the double doors with intent, it stood there, proud in stature. Its three heads circled my body and its long scaled necks, lion torso and legs followed. The beast towered over me as the other guard joined in its inspection.

The second bouncer used its bull-like horns to pin me to the wall. Its serpent tail glided up and down my body, looking for the smallest flaw in my reason for needing access. ‘There’s a problem with one of the mutants. I need to do this report otherwise we’ll all be dead…’ I lied. They looked at each other suspiciously.

‘WHO SENT YOU?’ the three-headed bouncer roared.

I hopped from foot to foot as I tried to think of someone in a position of authority. ‘Erm - Dr. Chronos,’ I stammered. They took a moment to think and handed me the exit remote and let me through the throbbing doors.

‘Remember to press the remote to leave immediately!’ the bull-horned guard shouted as I waved. They bolted the door shut behind me, leaving me stood in the darkness with only my senses of smell and hearing to guide me to Ardan.

******

<CLICK ON THE YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THIS PAGE WHILST READING THIS CHAPTER TO ENHANCE THE EXPERIENCE>

I took off my shoes and put them in my handbag as my tights tore and ripped in the rough jungle environment. The mud covered my legs as I headed towards the light in the distance. ‘Stay out of the camera’s line,’ I thought as I constantly ducked and dodged the revolving lens.

The smells were repulsive as I crawled among skeletons, fresh corpses and other body parts to get to the swamp.

After five minutes of fighting through the landscape, the end was in sight. I hid behind some bushes and saw the light was from a bonfire the harpies had created.

One of the mutants was spit-roasting an elf as the other fought for its favourite pieces. I sat and watched the feast as I felt a presence approaching from behind me.

I closed my eyes and put my finger above the button on the remote, ready to press it if one of these harpies attacked me. ‘Wait…’ the man whispered as he touched my shoulder softly.

He turned my face to him, and I slowly opened my eyes to see Ardan’s loving gaze. ‘Have you come to get me out of here?’ he asked.

I stroked his face in happiness. ‘Yes! But I don’t know how we’re going to get past these mutants,’ I replied, kissing his lips and neck.

‘You didn’t think of how you were going to help me escape before you got in here?!’ he asked with a touch of annoyance.

I felt like I’d disappointed him and needed him to understand that the fact I was here with him was the most important thing. ‘No, all that matters is me getting out of here alive!’ he snapped.

The mutants stopped eating and listened carefully. ‘Can you hear something?’ one of them asked the other. It nodded and they started investigating.

‘What are we going to do?’ Ardan asked nervously. I prayed for a miracle.

They began cutting through the nearby bushes. ‘Don’t move…’ I whispered as I threw a stone in the opposite direction; we watched them flock to the source of the sound. ‘Now! Go that way!’ I ordered. We ran away from the swamp and deeper into the jungle.

Without a second thought, he used his supernatural speed and fled deeper into the jungle, leaving me to hit the button just in time; the harpies had realised they’d been tricked and began to circle their new meal.

The button transported me back into the office, where Darcy was waiting for my return. ‘Did you see me?’ I fretted.

He looked at me, astonished that I would risk my life (and job) by going into the games without official permission. ‘Come here,’ he whispered. He pulled me in towards him and started to hug me.

In spite of his friendliness, I knew I couldn’t be too cold with him - I might need him if I ever got caught. ‘No one saw you, Vic.’ He attempted to kiss me, at which my cool demeanour slipped. I left him holding his face in pain; my handprint was a reminder for him to respect my boundaries.

Revelling in my happiness at seeing Ardan, I started planning how I could help him from outside of the world he found himself in. ‘No! Make sure you keep that screen on at all times!’ I ordered one of the researchers as she attempted to change Ardan’s channel to the Lycan’s’ station. She quickly flicked the channel back and I began the first stage of my plan to find us somewhere away from the clan, where we could start our new life as a real family.

Did you enjoy this chapter? If so, please show your support for this author by VOTING for this story or leave a COMMENT to connect with me! Thanks everyone! :)

***If you cannot wait for me to update this story EVERY FRIDAY, the full book is available to purchase on Amazon, Smashwords, B&N, Kobo and iBooks***