✎ Chapter 25: Red Carnations ✎

"Yeoreum's stable right now but..."

Sehun blinked away his sleepiness, fully awake when he heard your name. He quickly stood up and went to your mother, who's talking to the doctor assigned to you.

"...even if you do the operation right now, I can't assure her survival." Dr. Zhang slightly bowed his head, deeply sorry for what you had to get through. "It's been too long since the tumor grew, spreading in various parts of her brain and spinal chord." He looked at your mother with solemn eyes, glancing at the young man behind her.

"I remember that it was 6 months ago when she figured about her condition." Dr. Zhang said, causing Sehun to look away sadly. "She told me she was getting dizzy and her heart keeps on beating painfully. She said that it started months ago. She had multiple tests and check-ups every week, only to know that she's already too late." His hands gripping on the clipboard tighter, showing that he's having a hard time not to let his emotions show. "We'll be checking her condition often and keep you updated."

Dr. Zhang Yixing has been your family doctor since you were a kid. He does every check-up on you and your siblings whenever someone gets a cold or sickness. He was a close friend of your father too, working at the same hospital.

It's painful for him to see you getting worse day by day.

"We knew it was coming but I didn't know it'll be this fast..." Ga-in cried as Dr. Zhang gently patted her shoulder.

"She endured it long enough, Ga-in. I don't want to say this but she needs to rest."

Sehun felt enraged by what Dr. Zhang said, his hands tightly forming into fists as he kept himself calm. A hand grabbed his shoulder and faced him.

"Bro, let's eat breakfast downstairs. Chanhee's already there." Chanyeol glanced at his mother, crying as she sat on the bench. Dr. Zhang comforted the older woman, rubbing her back as he tried consoling her. "You can go ahead at the canteen, I'll wait for mom."

Sehun complied, knowing Chanyeol would just force him to go down and eat. It has only been 10 hours since you've got admitted to the hospital. He hasn't eaten a single thing since he saw you get taken inside the emergency room.

He can't calm down.

"Oppa?"

Sehun shook his head as he looked up at Chanhee, who's eating cup noodles. Her eyes were no different to his, red and puffy from crying and lack of sleep. He's not the only one who's suffering and hurting.

"Yeah?" Sehun tried smiling at her but his eyes gave him away.

Chanhee looked down at her cup noodles as she sighed, stirring the contents with a small fork.

"You know about unnie's condition, right?"

"Yes." Sehun breathed out as he looked at the window beside him. The trees were swaying with the wind as usual, people are busy everywhere, cars beeping and swiftly passing each other.

Everything was the same for everyone.

"If you knew," She looked up at Sehun with glistening eyes. "why'd you still love her?"