20: Blood Barrier

Clary stared at Alec, then at Catarina, then back to Alec as she sat down. 

"You didn't let me explain." Catarina said as she dusted off her pants and reached for the handle on the door.

"Wait! Please. What has she done wrong?" Alec was now holding Clary in his arms.

"I'll let you figure that out on your own." And with one flick of her wrist, Catarina was gone. Clary sobbed uncontrollably. Alec picked up the potion she had skulled and removed the fake label. Beneath it were a set of instructions, the first one being 'Only take 10mL (Do people use mL in America?) at once.' He threw the glass bottle down; shattering it in frustration.

---------------------------------------------------------X--X--X--------------------------------------------------------------

A fire message landed in Jace's lap. He managed to reach it with his manacles that have been locked again on. As he read the fire message, he grinned. The time was now.

---------------------------------------------------------X--X--X--------------------------------------------------------------

"What's happening?!" Isabelle yelled as the ground began to shake. Plaster began falling from the ceiling and anything that was fragile broke immediately. Isabelle collapsed from pipes and plaster enveloping her.

"Isabelle!" Simon yelled and darted towards where she had fallen. He immediately checked her pulse. Steady. He carried her outside where a red barrier began to form. Just outside it stood-

"Magnus Bane." Alec had appeared with Clary at his elbow and Luke with a hand on Clary's shoulder. In the distance Catarina Loss lay limp; it was hard to tell if she was still breathing. Alec charged towards Magnus, bow and arrow ready. 

"I wouldn't do that." Jace had Alec in a headlock and was holding a seraph blade to his throat. "You see, this is a blood barrier. Anyone with Demon blood (Luke), Fairchild blood (Clary) or Lightwood blood (Isabelle and Alec) will be vanquished into thin air." Alec was turning purple at this stage. He took one last look at his friends, and mouthed the word 'go' to Simon. Jace held the sword to his spleen and brought the blade down with a sickening sound. Alec slowly relaxed and stopped struggling. Magnus had his back towards everyone, perfecting his barrier as Simon stepped through with ease. He confronted Magnus with two hands on his chest.

"One move and I push you into this barrier. You've got Demon Blood remember?"

---------------------------------------------------------X--X--X--------------------------------------------------------------

Alec could faintly see Clary leaning over the top of him. 

"Clary, go." He said with blood trailing from the corner of his mouth. Clary shook her head and with a final breath he closed his eyes.

- Follow me @clary_and_alec_fanfic on Instagram! Check out my other stories too! ~ Brooklyn