CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Warning: Strong, suggestive and sexual language used. Thank you!

******************************

Nicomaine slumped her whole body into the leather couch, eyes closed and posture defeated. Her ending statement was met with complete silence. She let out a sigh of relief as if the weight of the world was just lifted off her shoulders. Her body released of tension that she had been carrying for the last month. It was a feeling of freedom. Perhaps not the freedom she's been hoping to get but it was freedom of releasing the burden that had been dragging her down. It was liberating, emancipating...relief. A part of her is chastising her for what she just did but another part of her answered 'I don't care!' because whether she will admit it or not, she already trusted Richard and his brother to help her.

"Why didn't you go to the police?" Daniel asked, breaking the silence.

Nicomaine's eyes flew open with that question.

"You think I didn't?!? Believe me, I tried. The first station I walked into indulged me and listened to my story. But as I started mentioning the Castro cartel, they started to doubt me. They moved me to a room and told me to wait there. A few minutes later, I hear two cops outside the door talking about the possibility that I lost my mind and that the Ministry of Child and Family Development were on their way to apprehend my baby. So, I took off the first chance I got. The second time I tried, the police asked for identifications from the get go. ID's of me and the baby. I didn't have any to show, so once again, they contacted MCFD and social work services to take my baby away. That was that. I decided then that the police will not be able to help me without separating us. Because quite honestly, who would believe a woman with no ID, and rambling about a drug cartel so far away from home? I certainly wouldn't. That only happens in the movies right?" Nicomaine stated with a self deprecating smile.

"I would've believed you. If you came to me, I would have believed you" Daniel answered.

"Then I'm glad you're here now" Nicomaine mumbled.

"How the hell did you manage to be on the run that long without any help from anybody? I mean, what about money? And with a baby at that! Damn Maine! That's impressive" Richard interrupted, looking at Maine with admiration in his eyes and quite frankly, a little aroused. So inappropriate Faulkerson! Get a hold of yourself! He's never, in his entire life, met a woman quite like Maine. Who would sacrifice their life for the life of a child that's not even theirs? Who would try to run from a drug cartel? Who would last a month living on the knowledge that they could die the next day or even the next minute? Maine did all that! For what? Because she believed that she can save a baby.

"We survived by the cash that Anton kept in that backpack I always carry with me and the amount I withdrew from my account on the day we ran. I couldn't use my credit cards because of my fear that we will be traced that way. So yeah, cash was what we had" Nicomaine answered, misunderstanding Richard's question. She sat up suddenly and once again the world spun around her.

"Will somebody pleeeaaasseee stop making the world spin so fast" she stated, her words quite slurred. "Anyway, Captain America...eerrr no wait....Captain Canada that is....sorry" she slurred, pointing at Richard, "what's the plan...Stan" she huffed with a giggle.

Richard and Daniel looked at each other, each a little amused but still silently formulating a plan in their heads.

"Stop it! You two stop what you're doing. I know that you two have a plan. Share it! I'm all ears" Nicomaine mumbled as she saw the look that passed between the brothers.

"You're drunk" Richard stated.

"Well duh, Captain Obvious! I might be drunk but I still want to know the plan" Nicomaine responded sarcastically. "Your brother will tell me. Right eerrrrr Captain Oblivious" she added while turning to look at Daniel.