CHAPTER THREE

Nicomaine watched as Mr. Smith and Mr. Jones both approached Mr. Faulkerson, flanking him on both sides of the hospital bed. Leaving him no way to escape. Leaving him no room to move or even just stand (not that he can stand). A few tense moments passed, the men in the room appeared to be sizing each other up. But then, much to Nicomaine's surprise,  Mr. Jones spoke in a clear but low, hushed tone.

"Sir. The RCMP have been notified. They're on their way."

Mr. Faulkerson looked to where Nicomaine was standing and gave a very imperceptible nod in acknowledgement to what Mr. Jones just whispered.

Wait...what?!? Sir? Did Mr. Jones just call the douchebag sir?

"Whoa!!! Sir? What does he mean sir? You know each other? And I thought you were the RCMP Mr. Jones? What do you mean the RCMP is on their way? Who are you people?" Nicomaine fired her questions , seemingly in a panic but discreetly, she was reaching into her jacket pocket for the knife she always kept there. She positioned herself in between the couch and the men in the room. There were three of them but she's already discounted the man on the bed. All she had to fight, if need be, are the two other men that have guarded her in the past three days. So gullible Nicomaine. To think that they were protecting you. Ha! However, she knew that she could inflict as much pain as she can before she can take her baby and run, once more.

Richard watched the passing of emotions on the face of the woman at the foot of his bed. It started from clear shock, to bewilderment, to disbelief and now to suspicion. The suspicion that is clearly written on her face and the sudden defensiveness of her stance. He knew the moment when she was about to pick up her baby and run. It was the exact moment when he decided that he needed to take control of the situation. Realistically speaking, he could've just let her go; let her run to God knows where and leave him in peace. He already almost lost his life helping her. BUT! There was just something about her that screamed for the gentleman in him to step up. Sure! Keep telling yourself that Faulkerson! You know it's something else! Regardless of what the reason is, he needed to reassure her. To make her see that he is not one of the bad guys she's running away from.

Nicomaine slowly picked up her baby from the couch and expertly but swiftly strapped the baby carrier to herself with one hand while the other was picking up the backpack on the floor. She could see from her peripheral vision that Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith are now both standing by the window, looking down to the streets below. For what, she doesn't know but they were both intently staring at something. Now! Nicomaine, run now while the two are distracted! Run! But as she was about to take her first step, Mr. Faulkerson spoke up.

"Don't. Please don't. I can help you. Let me help you."

At first, Nicomaine thought she was hearing things. She wasn't sure if she heard it correctly. Mr. Faulkerson actually offered to help her? Could it be that you are so desperate for someone to help you that you are imagining things. That you are actually hoping that all this running away would just fade away into nothing and that you will be back to your old life. To the life that you abandoned for the sake of this little girl in your arms. Then just like that, Nicomaine snapped out of her inner monologue. But she needed to know.

"Who are you? And who are these two? Who sent you?" Nicomaine asked in rapid succession, her voice rising an octave higher with each sentence that by the end she could hear herself screaming the question.

"Calm down" Richard began with his hands up, palms out for reassurance. During his years in the Joint Task Force, he knew when a person needs to be reassured. He also knew how to do it. "Nobody sent me. I don't even know you or what you're going through. I'm not sure what you're running from but I think we both know that it will only be a matter of time before those men from the other night will catch up with you and your baby. And what then" he asked.