CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Wait...WHAT?!?

"Lo siento. QUE [I'm sorry. WHAT]?!? I thought I heard you say Richard's wife."

Elvira heard the animosity and surprise in Nicomaine's tone as she asked her question. The older lady looked up and realized the blunder she just made.

"Oh no! Mis disculpas [My apologies]. I meant the clothes belonged to his wife. Es en el pasado [It's in the past]. Ay mi hija. I'm so sorry. Ricardo told me that two of you are married so I thought he told you" Elvira back pedaled, her accent getting thicker and thicker by each word she uttered and her face getting redder and redder.

"Lo siento hija. My big mouth ran ahead of me. However, as much as I would like to tell you everything, it is not my story to tell. I just assumed that since the two of you are already married, that he would've told you. Pero no lo culpo si no hablaba de ella [I don't blame him if he doesn't talk about her]. Ella le rompió el corazón [She broke his heart]." Finally, Elvira, realizing that she did make a terrible mistake, she admitted to herself that it will probably take Richard and Nicomaine to talk things through to fix it. She knew that she could tell the story to the younger woman but it's not her place to do so. Richard has to do it.

Nicomaine watched the older woman struggle as she tried to get out of the situation she unknowingly placed herself in. She saw the pure sadness on Elvira's face as the older woman mentioned Richard's heart being broken. Unwittingly, she couldn't help the feeling of sympathy and sadness that also coursed through her. Truth be told, she never had her heart broken so she really doesn't know how it feels. She's 28 years old and never had she been in a long term relationship. Never had she been that deeply in love that she would feel her heart being broken. Fine! I will give that neanderthal the benefit of the doubt. I will let him tell me the story before I break his bones. He will wish that it would only be his heart that's broken! Ugh!

And yet as she thought about it, she really doesn't have the right to get mad. None whatsoever! They're just pretending to be husband and wife. They're not really married. And they've only known each other for a total of 4 days. But why does it feel like I've been duped! Careful Nicomaine. You're getting way too deep.

"Está bien [it's okay] señora. Tienes razón [you're right]. It's not your story to tell. I'm sure Richard is just waiting for the right time to tell me. But, thank you for the clothes. Although I don't feel comfortable wearing somebody else's clothes. I brought my own. I'll just grab it from my backpack in Charmaine's room."

"Oh no hija. Ricardo asked me to take all of the clothes in that backpack and wash it. It's still in the washer. He said he will take you and Charmaine shopping today. Me temo que no tienes otra opción que usar esta ropa por ahora [I'm afraid you have no choice but to wear these clothes for now]" Elvira stated with a shake of her head.

"Well that's just fucking great!" Nicomaine muttered under breath.

"It's only for a short time mi hija. Besides these clothes are all still brand new. She never wore them" cajoled the older woman. "Ay caramba! Come on. Why don't you finish up your breakfast, take a shower and put some clothes on. I will give you a tour of the house, your house now, when you're done" she added as she headed to the door. "Oh and Nicomaine. I do not tolerate swearing when I'm around, por favor" she stated as she walked out of the room leaving Nicomaine surprised and admittedly a little bit angry. Well, okay then.

************************

Nicomaine spotted Elvira at the foot of the stairs even before she got to the bottom. The older woman was holding Charmaine in her arms, swaying back and forth and hummming to the baby. Nicomaine quickened her steps as soon as she saw her baby. It's amazing how she actually missed the little munchkin. As soon as her feet touched the floor, she ran towards Elvira with her hands extended. The older lady spotting the young woman, immediately extended the baby as well.