Chapter Four

SAGE.

“Have you heard from Daniel at all?” Cassie asked over dinner.

That took me by surprise, “No I haven’t, why?” I asked curiously, ignoring the look Greyson gave me.

She shrugged, “Just wondering. He’s in town or so I heard.”

“He is? How do you know?” I wondered. Feeling my heart rate quicken. Daniel was my ex-boyfriend, the guy who took my virginity and used me until he found someone better. I should have expected that for a guy who was five years older than myself. But, I was young and naive.

Also very stupid. I was stupid and blind when I was going out with him.

She bit her lip and ran a hand through her hair, “Uh well, Tony was telling me he’s in town. He is here for the wedding, he’s a groomsmen.”

I shot Tony a look and his cheeks blushed slightly. “Sorry Sage, slipped my mind.”

“Thanks for the notice,” I mumbled sitting back, I pushed my pasta aside and sighed. I didn’t want to have to see him after he left me heartbroken and devastated for weeks.

Cassie gave me an apologetic smile, “I’m sorry, I didn’t know until a couple days ago. You’re still coming out on Saturday though right?”

“What’s on Saturday?” I asked, my mind coming up blank when I tried to think.

She rolled her eyes, “We’re having dinner and drinks with Tony’s and my friends. I want you there, kind of like a joint bachelor and bachelorette party.”

“Your bachelorette party was a few weeks ago though? How many do you need bridezilla?” I teased. Grabbing my fork and stabbing the fettuccine with it. Twirling it around my spoon I brought it up to my lips and took a bite.

“It’s not really a bachelor, bachelorette thing. More like a friendly outing with the bridal party before the big day,” Tony winked, correcting me.

I rolled my eyes at him. He was such a sucker for pleasing her. He wasn’t the type of guy I thought she’d end up marrying, tall and athletic was what I pictured. Tony was tall, but slim and kind of playerish, well that’s what I picked up when I first met him. He was like a brother now, and we teased the utter hell out of each other a lot.

Mum looked up from her bowl and sighed, “Sage when you get married you can make your own rules up. Your sister wants to do this her way.”

“I don’t think I want to get married, playing the field is far more fun,” I winked, Tony held in his laugh as I looked up, waiting for dad to stop reading his paperwork and join in with dinner.

As on cue, his head snapped up and eyes narrowed in on me. “Want to go for another swim dear?”

“You’d have to catch me old man, don’t worry. I was kidding, my wedding is going to send you broke so keep working and saving,” I smiled brightly up at him.

Greyson laughed, joining in also. “Sage, your wedding is most likely never going to happen. You need to find a guy first.”

“True, she’s too fussy with boys,” Cassie chimed in again.

Tony threw his head back with a wide grin, “I don’t think any man would match up her to list of wants and needs.”

“Shut up loser, I am not that fussy and I don’t have a list,” I snapped, laughing as my cheeks tinged pink slightly.

Dad laughed, “Oh darling. I know, you’ve set your standards up to your old man. I can’t help if there’s no other man like myself.”

Cass and I both let out a groan. I shook my head from side to side, “Eww, you’ve got tickets on yourself.”