Chapter Twenty

SAGE.

Oliver got back in the car and slammed the door, startling Meadow and waking her up to continue on with her screaming fit. I bit my tongue, and kept my eyes on the road as Oliver started up the car and drove us home.

I was in a hurry to get Meadow out and feed her. Sitting down on the couch it took all of two seconds for her to latch on and feed. This girl could drink, and drink. “Hungry bubby,” I whispered, stroking her cheek.

Her little hands wrapped around my pinkie finger and squeezed tight, sucking down the milk so fast she coughed and splattered it over her face. “Well someone is just in too much of a hurry,” Oliver spoke walking out from the bedroom.

Definitely agreed there. “Yep,” I smiled.

I wanted more than anything to ask him what Amy gave him, I couldn’t believe he had been so careless to get out and walk over to her. She was insane, crazy and frightening. The way she smiled when she sped off made my skin crawl. He didn’t say anything and it wasn’t like I had rights to ask about it, for all I knew it could be some naked photographs of her to keep him company.

“I’m going to put her to bed then have a shower,” I yawned, standing up.

Oliver sat on the couch with the envelope beside him. “Want some help?”

“No it’s fine,” I smiled over my shoulder at him as I walked away with a sleeping child in my arms.

Thank god she didn’t have a full nappy, I wasn’t looking forward to changing her then waking her up and having her screaming all over again. Her arms flailed out above her head as I turned the monitor on and walked into the other bathroom, closing the door and undressing.

Each time I showered, I tried to avoid looking in the mirror. It wasn’t that I was ashamed or embarrassed of my body, I was just shy about it. I looked three months pregnant still, it was sad. I really missed being pregnant.

As I rubbed conditioner in my hair the sliding door opened and Oliver walked in, the steam of the shower window only giving me an outline view of him as he sat the put the lid on the toilet down and took a seat. “I don’t know if you’re mad at me or not?” he said quietly, stretching his legs out in the small room. I agreed, it was getting cramped in here.

What? Since when was I mad?

Ignoring him until I rinsed my hair, I wrapped the towel around my body and slid the door open. “I’m not mad, should I be?” I asked, grabbing another towel to dry my hair.

Oliver shrugged, “Amy used to say fine a lot and I knew that was code for I’m pissed off at you.”

“I’m not her,” I snapped with a glare.

I never would be like her. That woman was something else, and he had to get it through his skull that I was nothing like her, nor would I ever be. She was evil, pure evil.

My eyes softened, turning away from him I left the bathroom. Him and I, these feelings I felt for him were so much clearer and real. I loved him. Simple as that, and not just because he was Meadow’s father. He was amazing, he was just perfect in my eyes.

“I didn’t mean you were like her, I’m sorry. I know you’re nothing like her Sage, I’ve never once thought that or compared you to her,” Oliver’s quiet voice said following me into the bedroom.

“Can you turn around please?” I asked, holding my underwear. I needed to change and he was in here, about to see it all.

A smile formed over his face. Shaking his head, “No I won’t. If you want to dress, then drop your towel and dress.”