Chapter Twelve

SAGE.

“Are you excited?” Dad asked, smiling wide as he parked the car.

I shrugged, “I don’t know. I’m kind of nervous,” I admit. I was extremely nervous to see what dad had organized to show me.

“Its ok princess, I hope you’re going to like it and it may help you decide to stay?” he asked, giving me a hopeful look.

I knew what he meant, he wanted me to stay and be close. I think now that Cassie was off and married, my parents were feeling lonely and clucky. If only they knew, pitter patter of baby feet would be here in around seven months.

Glancing back over at my dad, I sighed. “I don’t know. Just let me look, and please don’t pressure me into anything. Please?”

“I won’t dear, I promise,” he smiled and kept driving.

Driving to the new mall complex, we went through big large metal gates. Men were everywhere, working outside, driving around in white ute’s, wearing hard hats and basically working flat out. I gaped at the size of the building in front of my eyes.

“Shit,” I whispered loudly.

Dad chuckled beside me, “Do you like it?” he asked with a brow wiggle.

I laughed, “Let me look inside first old man, then I will decide.”

So, apparently due to regulations I had to wear a hard hat also, it was not what I wanted to wear and I had to let my hair down due to it not fitting fight. Also, I was told to wear a fluro orange vest. I could have cried. It was awful and big, dad laughed at my pouting.

“I’ll lead you up ma’am,” an old man smiled, his grey hair peeking out from his own hard hat.

“Oh I can stay here, I don’t mind,” I said, nervously and embarrassed.

My dad being in the council, put in a call to the project manager and told him we were coming over. It was very odd and strange, I could have waited until they were completed. I felt like one of those privileged kids who had everything given to them.

“It’s ok dear, follow up and I’ll meet you back out here when you’re done. Remember, I will let you have your time to think and I won’t come hassle you. Even if I want to,” he smiled and kissed my cheek, turning to the man he patted his back. “Charles, show her up to the top left, then come back. I’d like to go over some idea with you and Mr Bailey when you’ve got a chance.”

“Sure thing Sir,” Charles nodded.

I ignored all the looks I got from the men as we walked past them, the escalator had stopped working and we climbed the stairs, all forty two of them. He led me to where my father had suggested.

He pushed the plastic covering back and walked me into a room, “here you go,” he smiled.