Alex: I know better

I  walked slowly, taking in a lung full of air.The sweet fragrance, blended in with the smell of fresh dew-strewn grass invaded my nostrils. I trudged along the lawn and sat down on the small bench that we had installed there, trying to figure out what had happened just now. That girl was a ghost, no doubt. Poor her. Thanks to her strong fragrance, it wouldn't be long before my mother would hunt her out and...

I shook my head.

What was a ghost trying to do in my room, anyway? And by the deathly frowns that she was giving me, well...it seemed like she was hell-bent on killing me. Probably must've understood that I was a hunter and feared that I would kill her. Wait! Did I say feared? Sorry! I take that back. For one thing that I noticed, there was not an ounce of fear in her eyes. She was strong. Powerful. Brave.

Wow! Look at that! Seems like I already know her.

"Alex?" a firm, but warm grip on my shoulders shook me back to reality.
"M-mom! What are you doing here?" I jumped up, tensed.

She crossed her arms and looked at me quizzically. "Good morning to you too, honey."

"Uhh sorry!" my cheeks flushed.

"What thoughts were you lost in, early in the morning?" She narrowed her eyes. Before I could answer her, she sighed and shook her head.

     "Alex," she brushed some stray locks from her forehead and continued, "I really care for you and know what's the best for you. I don't want you to fall in any trouble unnecessarily. Look," she took a deep breath,"making friends and falling in love with someone is the most common thing in the world,but then...it's outcome might not be that easy, especially for hunters. So...just focus on your life and duty for now. Okay?"

    Sorry, but I still can't understand why mom's giving me a lecture on love this early in the morning.

"Mom, I'm blank."

She sighed and looked down for a second. "I just want you to understand that..." she looked up, all the warmth drained from her steely grey eyes, "It's high time now that you stop thinking about Sarah and get back to your life, study, play, fight ghosts and kill them for good. She was a useless chapter in the story of your life which should not be the cause of your ruin. And... you should take a lesson from it that love is not a fairytale. Clear, blank-head?"

    "But... I wasn't even thinking about her- " I winced as an aching pain shot up my spine.

That hurt. Not kidding. My mom had this special ability of literally causing pain to sear through you if you made her angry. And worst of all, it hurt her.

"Mom..." I trailed off.

She collapsed on the bench and breathed heavily. "I'm sorry Alex. I- I'm s-sorry."she sputtered.

"Mom...you needn't-"

"No! It's not just me. It's this strange power that's killing me.Didnt you feel it from the moment we entered this house? This energy's running through the veins of this house. The owner--what was his name? Yes! Mr. Walkins. The reason that he gave me for leaving this house for some transfer didn't sound too credible. Oh no! it's definitely something else. It-it's this strong energy. Powerful yet so sweet..." She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

My insides had already turned into pretzels. I cleared my throat."What do you think it is then?"
She let out a low, small laugh.

Silence.

"Momma?"
She looked at me and gave a small smile. Somehow, it looked kind of sad.
   "What do I think it is..."she muttered it softly, slowly, as if it was something dangerous. Then, she stood up and paced gracefully around the lawn. Finally, she stood beneath my room and looked up.

Oh God...no...please no...Mom's a great senser...She can sense and sniff out ghosts within seconds...no...

I let out a breath that I didn't know I'd been holding on for so long when she turned around and walked back briskly towards the living room, which was directly connected to the lawn. I followed her, feeling lighter. Happier...but I didn't know why.

"Uhh...mom, I promised my friends that I would meet them today at the 'Rose cafe' for lunch. So...If you didn't mind..I mean..."

"Yes yes, alright!" She snapped, clearly coming out of her daze or whatever she was thinking about. "You can go. For the first time, I approve your friend circle because all of them are just like you-hun--" She coughed a few times and regained her dignified posture.
"Honey! I wanted to say honey." It was more like she was reassuring herself than me.

    Why was mom behaving so weirdly today? Something was definitely wrong.And when it came to hiding things from me, she was very very bad at it.

"Okayyy then..."I shrugged. "I'm going upstairs to study. Call me if you need any help. " I said, trying to sound all nonchalant and free.

I trudged up the stairs, wishing my dad good morning as he walked down, groggily, having just woken up.
Just as I was about to turn round the second flight of stairs, mom called out to me.

"Alex!"

"Yeah?"

"You know what, I don't think I know what it is, not right now, at least."

"No problem. I was just asking you mom. Relax." I gave out a tiny laugh, a lump already beginning to settle inside me.

    She laughed, but there was a hint of sorrow in her eyes. Add worry and a little anger in it as well. And she made sure I saw it. I guess I'm going to be sick. Indeed, this is a perfect morning for me.

"Ha! No deary, I didn't mean that. What I wanted to say was that I don't know what this power and energy is all about, what it is, because..." she looked down and exhaled.

Silence part two.

She looked up, again with that same cold, determined look and breathed out the magical words.
"Because I think you know better about it."

Oh God.
Someone please kill me.

🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋🌋

P. S.: Pls don't be a silent reader 🤐🔇...and vote and comment if you like this part. Keep enjoying and unravelling the mysteries as you wade through the story.☺ Pls ignore the grammatical or spell check errors that may have occurred due to typing mistakes. ;)

🎶🎧🎤Random question of the day🎶🎶: have you heard 'Mama' by Jonas Blue? ♡it?