4

Alex

 "So... how did your cafe outing with your friends go?" Mom winked as I gulped down a glass of water in the kitchen. Apparently, she's back to her usual self.

"Great. Really great. Enjoyed myself a lot," I smiled, trodding towards the stairs.

    "Good to hear that."

" Uhh...I'm going upstairs. Is Charlotte home? The house seems pretty quiet."

    Mom laughed, "Nope. She went to Emilia's house to play. Won't be back before five. Anyway, what did you friends converse about, today?"

  " Nothing special. School, studies, sports, girl-gossip and stuff. Jake showed us a ridiculous video of two fat men dancing in pyjamas. That was terribly funny and sent the whole table erupting into laughter...That's all," I shrugged.

    "I see!" Mom nodded and went back to reading something on her tab.
   I took this as a blessed opportunity to hurry upstairs. Something urged me to go to the attic.

   The attic was dark when I stepped inside.

When we had come here, it was dusty and abandoned, but we had cleaned it up, put a small couch at one corner, fixed up the lights, spread the carpets, fixed up a tiny bookshelf near the couch and practically turned it into a small, comfy room. I would always come up here when I needed some solitude, some time to think. This attic was surrounded by a strange, sweet energy which always washed me with calmness whenever I entered it. No doubt I had already fallen in love with it.

   I switched on the light and bolted the adjacent trapdoor silently. About to make my way to the couch, I stopped dead in my tracks. That same girl was sitting there, staring at me. Her intense fragrance engulfed me.

    "Say something!" she chided.

"What?"

Now this is getting weird. A ghost's asking me to say something.

    "Oh My!  Did you say 'what' just now?" She asked, eagerly.

I nodded, totally whomped off.

" Oh great!" She jumped down from the couch and clapped her hands. "Thank God! I've finally regained my hearing in  case of you people...Good lord!" She smiled and slumped back on the couch. Her smile was beautiful.

    "Well...if you can hear me, then answer me. Who are you and what are you doing here?"

   "I am the girl next-door, Eliza, and I just wanted to meet my new neighbour. So I came over and your mom said, Go up in the attic, my girl, he'll be there and--"

    I laughed, " Of course! I perfectly remember mom telling me about you. Wait! What did she say? Yes!" I turned my face into a mockingly serious expression, "Honey, Eliza's waiting upstairs in the attic. Hurry up before she flings herself down the window again."

She grinned sheepishly.

     " Funny I've never seen you around before, Eliza..." I crossed my arms.

" That's because I like the solitude of my house," She smiled.

I could feel a small smile tugging at the corner of my lips. Walking over to the bookshelf, I picked up a book. "Sarcasm...hmm...you need a better lesson at lying, missie!"

  She smirked.

" You still haven't answered my question. Who are you and what are you doing here?"