Chapter 17

The hand covering my mouth slid down to caress my right cheek as I stare intently on this man before me. He looked so tired and rugged, like he hasn't shaved for two weeks. His eyes had deep circles underneath as if he hadn't slept for a week now.

"Baby," he whispered and crashed me into his arms. His grip was tight and rough, like he wanted our bodies to be one right there and then. 

"L-luke...," I managed to whisper.

"I've been searching all over for you. Fuck, I miss you so bad," he said. Then, he let me go and grabbed my shoulders. "Why aren't you in your father's house?"

I was about to say something when he quickly shook his head. "No, it's better that you're not staying there. You can stay with me, baby."

"Luke, have you forgotten everything? Why I left and all?" I reminded. His deep black eyes bore into mine, questioningly. "I left because I need to find things out myself. I left because I can't be with you. You destroyed my family. And my only family was my father. Now, I have none. So, thank you." I tried to pull away from his grasp but he was stronger.

"Caterina, I can be your family now. We'll get married and we can-"

"Do you even hear yourself, Luke? Don't you remember who I am? Don't I remind you of someone? I am the daughter of the woman who destroyed your family."

His face twisted in disgust. "I know."

"Then, just let me go. Or do you want me close so you can keep on punishing me for her sins?" 

He breathed deeply. "I need you close because I love you."

I was taken aback by his answer. I looked down at his clothes. He was only wearing a black shirt and jeans. This was so unlike him. He looked like he hasn't eaten a good meal for days. "Have you even looked at yourself in the mirror? You look horrible."

"I don't care. I just need to find you. I'll do anything just for you to come back to me. We can start anew. I'll try to forget everything and... forgive your father. I'll try to see if I can... bring things back to how they were for your father-"

"No, Luke. It's not as easy as that... You opened my eyes to the truth. And we cannot just simply forget the horrible things I found out. Besides, it's going to be hard to put back a company all over again after destroying its reputation."

"I can build one up again for him."

"You're not serious," I said, exasperatingly. "I cannot be bought again with money, Luke, or any material thing. I am a person, if you haven't noticed yet. So please, treat me like one." I pulled away from him and stepped back. "I'm going. Celine needs me." I turned away and start walking.

"I need you, too," he blurted out. 

I stopped and considered turning to face him again. But I have to be strong and firm. I have to fight the urge to give in to him this time. "I have to go. I'm sorry." 

There was silence and I thought he gave up. I was walking away from the alley when someone pulled my left arm. It was still him. "You really won't give up?" I said, annoyed.

"At least, let me take you to Celine. I don't think it's safe to walk around here alone."

"I am doing just fine until you came." He practically started dragging me by my arm. "Luke, let go!"

"My car is just parked right around the corner. I'll take you to Celine's."

I knew I won't be able to stop him this time. I just have to follow him if I don't wanna be slumped over his shoulders again. I know he wouldn't think twice doing it again.

***

"Maxon said... he doesn't want a commitment... before we dated," Celine blurted out. I can feel that she was close to crying. "But I screwed up. I don't know how this happened. We always used protection."

"But we know condoms aren't safe," I said. Speaking of which, I don't remember Luke every using one. 

"Yes, but still.. What are the odds? I guess I have to raise this child alone now. But first, I have to tell Maxon... or at least, inform him."

I nodded. "He has to know, one way or another. Even if he doesn't want a child, he still has to know." I hugged her tightly to help her ease the pain. We let the next hour pass watching her favorite series to try to calm her down. 

Without her knowing, I texted Maxon to meet with him tomorrow. I just have to talk to him and try to get a feel if he's willing to be a father or not. They are both my closest friends and I care for them both.

By night time, I tucked her in bed and wished her a Good night. She needs rest and so does the baby. I went down her condo building to hail a cab when a flashy sports car drove in front of me. I immediately knew the man driving the car.

Luke got out to open the passenger door for me. 

"What are you doing here?"

He looked at me questioningly. "I waited at the parking lot right across the building. So we can have dinner together."

"Luke, it's past 11. I already had dinner with Celine."

He shrugged his shoulders. "That's alright. I can just drive you back to wherever hellhole you're staying right now."

I looked at him from head to toe. He seemed to be really tired. I'm sure he hasn't eaten dinner yet for waiting for me. "You know what, let's first grab something to eat."

His face immediately lit up, like a lost boy finding light all of a sudden.

"Okay! Hop in, babe."

****

I noticed that a lot of people have been adding my story to their reading list. This inspires me to continue the story! Really!!! For my future readers, please don't forget to follow me, vote for the story and add this to your reading list. ;)