I'm Never The One

Ruru's

I miss hanging out with Glaiza. She pays so much attention to her new boyfriend. And it’s getting really annoying.

It’s been two months already since Glaiza started dating that Marx. I feel so happy but at the same time really scared.

Yeah, I do love seeing her happy but I hate to see someone else making her happy.

With the short amount of time, I have felt things that only lead to one thing.

So by now I expect you have guessed it already. I’m in love with my best friend.

She has dated a lot of guys and I didn’t care at all. Because I know they would just come and go like seasons. But for the first time, I felt scared. Marx has been making her happy for 2 months already. That’s a first for Glaiza.

...

It’s just another typical night with her. We’re sitting on the couch talking about her love life. I know, I should have told her way before about how I feel. I was gonna’ tell her after Chynna’s wedding, but Marx had to come along. But I don’t regret it, because he makes my best friend happy. Oh who am I kidding? Of course I regret it. I should have told her the moment I broke up with Arra.

But it’s good that it turned out to be like this. Because like what she always says, “I can never be with someone so lazy and has no goals in life.” Every time I hear Glaiza saying those words, it always reminds me that I will never be good enough for her.

I try so hard and I’m never the one.

I could see my phone constantly blinking in the corner of my eye. I'm surprised that it appeared Marx’s number.

I sighed and answered it on the fifth ring. “Hey, man. What’s up?”

“Hey Ruru! I just called to ask you if you could help me on something. It’s about Glaiza.”

“Yeah… sure.”

“I really want to impress your best friend. Do you have any ideas of what she would like me to buy for her? Or anything? What are her likes and dislikes?”

I laughed to myself. He should be asking Glaiza about this. Oh yeah right, for the past two months, they’ve been talking about him, him and oh yeah, him.

It’s true what people say, you’re dumb when you’re in love. People always forget to bring their brain every time they follow their heart. Glaiza is too dumb for falling in love with someone like Marx. She deserves better, but he makes her happy, so that explains everything. While here I am, I am too dumb to fall in love with such a perfectionist. I know she wouldn’t go out with someone like me but the question still remains, why do I keep on waiting... and hoping?

“Uh, Ruru? You still there bro?”

“Oh yeah. Okay, just get her a—um—“ I was thinking of what Glaiza would like to receive from Marx when my eyes landed on the book that I forgot to give her. Bingo!

“I actually bought her favorite book. I’ll send it to you. She’d be very to get it from you.”

“You sure Ruru? I mean, you bought that for her.” He asked.

Of course I’m not okay with it but I have to. If I can’t have her, I’ll just have to help Marx. I know he’s a great guy, can be boastful but really a gentleman.

“Yeah, I’m sure.” I told him before hanging up the phone.

 Glaiza's

 “I got it for you.” He passed me a box with a ribbon on it.

I opened it and to my surprise, it’s my favorite book. I pulled out my chair and hugged him so tight. “Oh baby, thank you! You don’t know how much I want to read this book. I just don’t have the time to go to the bookstore.” I crashed my lips to his and we started making out.

He let me sit on his lap. “Do you really have to go so early?” I pouted and rested my head on his shoulder.

“Yes baby, I have a meeting at 5. I’m so sorry, I promise I’ll make it up to you” He kissed my neck and It felt so right.

We headed to my apartment and I waved good bye at him.

I opened the door and I found Ruru sitting on the couch, playing video games. As usual.

“Hey!” I tried to get his attention but he just continued playing. “I bought a beer!” I yelled. The TV is too loud so I walked to the living room and turned it off.

“What the hell was that for, Glai?!” He’s annoyed.

I jumped on him and played with his cheeks. “Stop it, Glaiza!”

I giggled. “Don’t you miss me? We barely hang out.” I pouted.

“Well I’m always here. You’re just really busy with Marx.”

He seems so cold. Isn’t he happy for me?

Ruru's

Shit. She might think I’m jealous. Think, Rolando Ezekiel, think!

“Uh, so what’s that on the table?” I asked trying to change the topic.

“Beer. Wanna’ drink?” She asked.

“Of course.”

We started talking and talking. She has stars in her eyes, she really is madly in love with him.

“Oh my god remember the book I’ve been asking you to get me? Guess what! Marx bought it for me. Isn’t he just the sweetest man alive?” Here she goes again with her sweet smile.

“Yeah.” I took a sip of the beer.

“See Ruru, I told you I’ll be able to find the one. He exactly knows what I like.” No he doesn’t. I told him that. I am the one who knows what exactly you like, Glaiza.

“We’re planning to get married, by the way.” She said.

My heart stopped beating. I just feel like my world crashed right in front of me. What did she just say?

“You’re drunk.” I tried to laugh.

“I’m not kidding, Roo.”

I put down my beer and faced her. “Don’t you think it’s too early?”

“No. Yes, it’s been two months but I don’t want to wait any longer. I know he’s the one for me.”

“You’re rushing too much.”

She just laughed at me. I could tell she is drunk. “So, what are you trying to say?”

Since she’s drunk, I had the strength to tell her. “What I’m trying to say is that Marx is just another guy who would leave you maybe not now but eventually he will. And I’ll be right here still waiting for you to love me back.”

There was a long pause. I hope she’s drunk so she wouldn’t be able to remember all this.

She burped. “You’re full of shit, Ruru.” She giggled.

Yeah… she is drunk. “Maybe I am.” I laughed but a tear escaped my eyes.