Chapter 13

A/N: So, been a while I know. I've been dealing still with personal issues and I've been traveling. As to not bore you (as I'm sure you will just skip this and go straight to our story), I'll keep it short. I took a risk to go see the guy I was broken hearted about for the last couple of weeks. Needless to say he was surprised (in a good way) to see me and we reconnected in some capacity. My writing will reflect this period in my life, so sorry if it's dark and harsh - but that's reality. But anyway back to our story. 

I chose to handle this matter of Sigyn's life a bit differently than I originally planned. However, I think once this story has finished it's tale, you will see why. Without further delay, here is chapter 13 - with only 7 chapters in this book remaining - of Desolate Beauty. 

"Where is she!?"

Loki burst into Eir's chambers, who thankfully was cleaning up after her evening meal.

"My King, I apologize but I do not understand what you mean."

"My Queen, she is not in the stasis chamber nor is she in our chambers." Anger spilled out in his words, though Eir knew they to be more of fear than true anger.

The head healer silently moved across the room, as if she did not hear the frustration in Loki's voice. She went about cleaning a few dishes, feeling the stare of her King upon her, his patience wearing thin.

"Loki, I have been with you since you were a child, since you first came to the palace. Even when I knew your true heritage and Odin denied it to everyone aside from your mother, I never once treated you differently than Thor nor did I ever shun you for your rightful birthright. I say this because I wish for you to understand Sigyn's feelings and why she did what she did."

"Eir..." Loki said, his voice softening but the fear hidden just between the lines.

"I informed Lady Sigyn that she would never be able to bare children again. Unfortunately what was administered to her at the event affected her body as well as the baby – it was the plan all along. Who ever gave her the toxin knew that this may cause her to be unfit as your Queen and in doing so that you will step down from the throne. My King, Sigyn left to protect you. She wishes for you to remain King and for you to have an heir to the throne."

Loki stared at Eir a long time after she had spoken, the healer moving around her chambers, attending to personal matters. Thousands of thoughts raced through his mind. Where was she? Was she safe? How could she think he cared that much about having an heir? He remembered the words how if the kingdom came crashing down, that it would be on her head. He had said this in frustration but not at her but at himself. Now he feared he may never have the chance to correct that dreadful mistake.

"Where...where has she gone to?" Loki whispered, desperate to find her though he knew she did not wish to be found.

Eir sighed and paused in washing the dishes to look up at Loki.

"She went home Loki, back to where she said she belongs. Before you storm off my King, be mindful and clear your own thoughts before you race off after her. Decide what you truly wish for her and if it includes you in this future."

As much as Loki wished to snap Eir's head off, he knew her words to be true. It was why she had been entrusted with the council's well being for centuries. She was loyal, trustworthy and above all, wise.

Leaving her chambers, Loki set off back to his own, thoughts circling in his mind. He wanted her to come back, to return to the palace. But if she was unable to bear children... could he live with that? Could he live with the thought that the rule he had fought so hard to gain would be lost the moment he had reached the All-Father's age?