Chapter 2: The Lost Colony.

Our work on Polaris was a success.  The gene therapy had bonded successfully in a zero gravity environment and with the removal of the anti-blood clotting agent from the serum it would now merge with human DNA and protect against radiation.
Eligius administered this to the prisoners and their staff who were to make the long journey in hypersleep to The Vesta Asteroid Mining Colony. The Thorium that was transported back over the next few years was used as a cleaner nuclear energy source for our planet. By 2048 two dozen mega reactors that could self sustain for over a hundred years were constructed to utilise these raw materials.

We continued on with our own research and the adaptability of the gene therapy to fight disease in the human body. To help speed up the process, Becca & Chris had also begun work on an A.I computer programme to help troubleshoot development issues.
2048 also saw funding from The Eligius Corporation cease. They no longer required production of the gene therapy serum. Public reports had stated they had lost contact with the Vesta Mining Colony and after investigation the project was to be halted for the foreseeable future. They gave us very little information about what had occurred on that colony, only the following statement:
"Due to an unforeseeable incident your research will no longer be required by The Eligius Corporation. The Official Secrets act does not permit us from discussing this matter any futher. We thank you for your efforts and wish you well with your futher endeavours".

We did not pursue the matter. Becca took the opportunity to purchase the Polaris Space Station from them along with all of the equipment on board.
The Lost mining colony became the focus of  many a conspiracy theory, but it was never made public as to what happened out there in the depths of space. Maybe some things should remain a mystery.