Chapter 12: The Flame

COMMANDER ARTURO:

I watched as Cadogan pulled the trigger, the bullet hitting Becca in the chest. With force it knocked her body to the ground. A  smile was still visible on Cadogan's  face. Anger filled my heart as I fired one shot at his head, killing him instantly.

With a heavy heart I took Beccas body back to the bunker. Silence filled the space as those dealing with the aftermath below bowed their heads in sorrow for the woman who had given them hope. She was taken to medical bay, where I asked for a moment alone with her.
"I'm sorry I couldn't save you." I breathed deeply, before honouring my promise to her. Taking a scalpel I removed The Flame, as she called it, from the back of her neck. Keeping it active I held it to the back of mine and allowed it to enter my flesh. The pain was agonizing but lasted just a few seconds. A sense of calm overwhelmed me as I felt my mind connecting with the A.I. What happened next was unexpected.

Becca stood before me as though still alive. We were on her space station Polaris looking out at the Earth. "Welcome Arturo," she said with a smile and continued, "I know, it's a little confusing for me also. I wasn't even a hundred percent sure it would work."
I smiled back, "The Flame uploaded your consciousness. It collects them!" Becca nodded, "Yes. And when your time ends, your mind will join me here. We will pass on all we've learned to those who bear The Flame. Collectively we can make life better."

I had so many question and my own doubts of how to move forward. Beccas words were simple, "Those people will look to you for leadership. Stay strong for them. If nothing else Cadogan was right about one thing... From the ashes we will rise. Keep The Flame alive and your leaders true. The rest will follow."

Becca had honoured her own promise that day, to make thing right. Every choice she made was for others. She never gave up her sorrow for those who were lost in what we now called 'Praimfaya'. To her dying day she would bear it so we didn't have to.