Chapter 4: The Bombs.

In 2052 we were having continued problems containing the A.L.I.E code. It had started to become threatened by Beccas work on the second version of its programe and began to wipe some of our research files. Chris was still reluctant to delete A.L.I.E completely, stating that there was much we could still learn from the programe. Military grade firewalls finally contained the A.I or so we though.

As A.L.I.E lay dormant, Becca continued her research back on the space station Polaris. She had created a small crystal matrix unit that was designed to be implanted in the human body to merge with the brain. It contained all of the productive elements of the A.L.I.E code but was constructed to process solutions in sync with our mind and our humanity. The only problem was that each simulation performed showed that once it was implanted into a human host the unit would malfunction and effectively destroy the brain. There would need to be another element introduced into the human body that could bridge the gap between man and machine as it were.

We never knew just how little time we had left. As we pushed the boundaries of science to make life better for human kind, that very goal was about to fade into ash and dust. A broken transmission from Chris on Earth was the last thing we saw before utter annihilation. A.L.I.E had some how broken free of her digital prison and begun to access defence mainframes all over the world. "Too  many people," she once assessed. Her solution, to release nuclear weapons destroying the population of the planet. She couldn't be stopped, we lost control of the very thing that was designed to help us.

As we watched the bombs destroy our home from Polaris, it was easy to blame this on A.L.I.E but we created  the code, we were responsible. The blood of billions was on our hands and all we could do was watch as it all faded away.