Chapter 10: Rise

BECCA'S CONSCIOUSNESS:

The night of the uprising came upon us, we were many but there were still those who stood fast by Cadogans side. I gave Arturo my journals and guidance on the information they contained. He was astounded by what I carried in my body, the A.I unit that had guided me since landing back on Earth. This would be my legacy to mankind, a way to lead with  honour. I had asked Arturo to remove it from my body, should I die and place it in his own. He was the only one I fully trusted to be the bearer of what I had now started to refer to as 'The Flame'.

With the weapons from our contacts in the armoury we began a chain of events that would see our existence on Earth change completely.
Cadogan and his people fought back hard. In the frey we had taken his office and unlocked the hatch to the bunker. We tried our best to avoid killing but Cadogan's people had no intention of surrendering.
The fight lasted for hours, so many lost to this revolution. We were fighting for our future, for the chance not to just survive but to thrive out there in the world. But I wished death no longer demanded it's sacrifice for this freedom.

Exhausted and wounded, we managed to gained control and the fight eventually subsided. Those left who stood with Cadogan were taken prisoner, Cadogan was nowhere to be found. We made the decision to take a team to the surface with the intention of lighting a beacon on top of the giant tower, hoping it would signal more survivors out there. As the others made their way into the structure I paused to look at my escape pod from Polaris that still stood amongst the ruins. It had been almost a year since I landed back on Earth. I ran my fingertips over the lettering which now read, 'Polis', the 'A' and the 'R' had burned off during re-entry.

A voice from behind broke my concentration. I turned to see Cadogan standing there pointing a gun at me. I whispered to myself, words I knew he'd never understand, "Ai gonplei ste odon." My fight was over. I was ready.