Chapter 11: Death Is Not The End

BECCA'S CONSCIOUSNESS:

"Chris was right about you, your determination, your resilience. That day you landed, the day they brought you to me, I knew exactly who you were," Cadogan spoke.

"Then you should have killed me back then," I growled at him.

He smiled so smugly, that ego never once faded, "From the ashes we will rise! You made that a reality and for that I have the utmost respect for you, Commander of the revolution."

His sarcasm made me despise him even more.
"You have the blood of billions on your hands and yet you still stand there with a smile on your face! Your followers see you for who you really are, a murder with a God Complex. Pulling that trigger changes nothing. It's over, Cadogan."

He simply continued to smile at my response, "You think it's over? You think your A.L.I.E code no longer exists? That the bombs were the only way to bring about a Second Dawn? From the ruins of darkness comes a City of Light. This legacy will endure."

I shuddered at the possibility of A.L.I.E still existing, but Cadogan and his cryptic ramblings were about to come to an end. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Arturo cautiously approaching the both of us, his gun raised at Cadogan. The founder of The Second Dawn never flinched.
He looked at Arturo and then back at me. For the first time since the bombs fell I felt at peace, I had accepted my fate.

Looking Cadogan in the eyes, I uttered my farewell, "Death is not the end!"
A smile played on my lips as I closed my eyes. The sound of a gun shot echoed through the air, a burning pain seared in my chest, then the  sound of a second gun shot.
Silence came at first, then a flash, a transference of the mind. The spirit of what once was, encapsulated for eternity.