Chapter 7: Survivors

BECCA'S JOURNAL:

It was agreed that the gene therapy would be administered to the survivors in the bunker. Most of these people were skilled in the day to day running of their subterranean home and seemed blissfully unaware of what I suspected Cadogan of. They were good people with good hearts, but there were also those who, like Cadogan, were wary of my presence in the bunker.

Over the next few weeks the gene therapy had taken effect in the populous and Cadogan had sanctioned the first mission above ground without radiation suits. The immunity to the radiation was successful but living conditions on the surface were harsh. Radiation storms still raged and also made it impossible to contact those who had survived on The Ark in space. The decision was made to remain in the bunker until conditions improved.

Over many months Cadogan continued to send teams above ground, stating that they were exploring the land to find possible areas that would one day be habitable. What concerned me and a few other was the return of these scouts with injuries and traces of red blood on there equipment. Our blood now ran black, not crimson red of our ancestors.
Cadogan never addressed the matter and began to allow his ego rule his leadership. For those of us who now had a deep mistrust in this false prophet, it became clear he had found other survivors out there and was disposing of them. For what reason and how they managed to survive was still a mystery. I needed access to his office, positive the answers I needed for all of Cadogans misgivings were in there.

Help came in the form of a man by the name of Arturo, an operations specialist for the bunker. He had become doubtful of Cadogans good intentions and offered to help me gain access to his office.
What we found was horrific.
He truly believed he was the saviour of mankind, a leader to bring those who he deemed worthy into a new era of existence. All I saw was a coward with the blood of billions on his hands.