Chapter 5

1 YEAR LATER

I'm still living with my mom, but not for long. Toby and I are getting married in 2 months. My parents and I are in a better place now. Pretty much, everything in life is perfect, except for this one thing, "Spencer, come eat breakfast!" my mom shouted from the kitchen. "Coming!" I shouted back as I ran down the stairs that lead to a single bedroom, mine. "Please, sit down. I have something important to tell you." Oh no.

"What is it?" I asked wearily. "Just listen to everything I have to say before responding. Ok?" she asked me, raising her eyebrows. I nodded and she began. "Alex. She has been proven healthy enough to come home." My eyes widened, but I listened and didn't say anything. "She'll be coming home tomorrow, she will be saying here. She can stay on the couch until you move in with Toby in two months. They said she's better, she won't start any problems." Oh no, this can not be happening. "Spencer? Say something." I don't know what to say. This can not be happening. Maybe I can just move in with Toby early, or I can stay in the barn with Melissa, who moved into the barn 4 months ago when her house caught on fire, or maybe my old bedroom at home, or even the guest bedroom at Jason's house, I could help with Ellie, my new niece. The point is, I can NOT live with Alex. "Spencer! Say something!" my mom yelled, snapping me out of my thoughts. I started shaking my head, "Spencer..." "I gotta go, I'll be home later" I said before running to my car and driving to Toby's cabin.

I opened the already unlocked door and sat on the couch. "Spence, are you ok?" Toby asked sitting next to me on the couch. I slowly shook my head, "I can't live with Mary Drake anymore." "What? Why?" He asked me. "Alex! She's getting released tomorrow and she's moving in with my mom, I can't stay there with her." I cried. I knew I was going to move out, but I thought I had at least 2 more months.

"Are you going to stay with me?" Toby asked me, "No" I responded. I didn't want to move in with him until we were married. We already broke a lot of traditional rules, I at least wanted to keep that one. "Where are you going to stay then?" He asked. "I don't know, I was thinking about staying with Jason" I replied, deciding I would rather stay with him then my parents or Melissa. "No. Not happening. You and Jason argue every other day without living in the same house as each other. You don't need to be living with him." He told me sternly. "Come on Toby, he's my brother" I reasoned. "I'm not leaving you two living in the same house as each other, that wouldn't be fair to Molly and Ellie." He responded. "Toby..." "No." I sighed. "Ok, I'll move in with my parents" I said with an unamused tone.

"I'm home" I shouted once I got back to my mom's house around 8 at night. I had already worked everything out with my parents and they were more than glad to let me stay. "Spencer! Are you ok?" She asked me, running up and giving me a hug. "I'm fine, can we sit down?" I asked "Sure." "I can't stay." I spat out, getting straight to the point. "What? What do you mean?" She asked me. Confusion lacing her voice. "I can't do it, I can't stay when she's here. I've already made arrangements, I'm gonna move back in  with my mom and dad." I replied. I then noticed I just called my "mom" mom. "Sorry, I didn't mean it" "Its fine, she is your mom. She raised you. When do you plan on leaving?" She asked, a single tear sliding down her cheek. I took a deep breath before looking back up at her, tears starting to escape my eyes, "Tonight". 

My mom followed me upstairs into my bedroom and helped me pack up my stuff.  At 9:15 she began to drive me home.  She then helped bring in all of the box's to my bedroom.

"I'm sorry" I said for the hundredth time. "It's ok, you have nothing to be sorry about"  she said sitting down on my bed next to me and wrapping her arm around me. I rested my head on her shoulder as more tears slipped down my face. "I'm gonna miss living with you" I whispered as she stroke my hair. "I'll miss you more" she responded, leaning her head on top of mine. (Cough cough) "Oh, hey" I said to my   "Other" mom, as I lifted my head up off of my mom's shoulder.  "We have guests coming over tomorrow at noon Spencer. I expect you to be nicely dressed." She told me, my dad standing at her side.  "I can't come, I told mom I would pick up Alex with her." I told my parents, looking at my dad.

"Spencer! Your mom is right here, next to me. And you will be at that lunch tomorrow." My dad scolded.  "Listen, I have 2 moms, face it. I'm not coming to that lunch tomorrow. Now would you get out" I said, pointing out the door. They left and I lied down on my back. "I think I should leav..." "please don't. Just stay overnight, please?" I begged, not wanting to stay  without her. "Ok" she said, and she lied down next to me.

====8 am====

"Spencer!" My parents shouted after opening my bedroom door. "What?!?" "What is she doing here?" They asked, looking at Mary Drake. "Isn't it obvious? She's sleeping" I replied with a smirk. "Spencer Jill Hastings, knock that off right now. We do not need crazy people staying in our house" my dad yelled. I felt so bad, I knew she was awake lying next to me. "She's not crazy! She's my mother!" I yelled back. "Well I guess that explains a lot of your behavior, huh?" my dad asked. "You know, running around, sneaking in the woods, doing drugs, all while you're in high school, what is wrong with you Spenc..." "That's enough Peter!"