Chapter 9

2 hours. I have been in the waiting room for 2 hours. Jason was sleeping, his head resting on my shoulder, but I was wide awake. "Spencer Hastings?" The lady called out from behind the counter. I stood up immediately, allowing Jason's head to drop before he woke up. "That's me" I responded, rushing towards the lady. "Toby Cavanaugh is in room 523. It seems like he'll be able to make a full recovery" she told me. I had already started walking away when she told me the room number, but I could still hear the rest. "Thank you" Jason told her before running after me.

I entered the room to see Toby asleep in his bed. I pulled the chair that was against the windowsill up to his bed and then sat down, wrapping my hands around his. "I called dad and let him know what's going on." Jason told me, sitting down in a chair next to me. I nodded my head, too focused on Toby's breathing to reply.

"Spence?" Toby asked, finally waking up. "Hey, Tobes" I said, trying to stay as calm as possible as I got off of my chair and kneeled down next to him, not letting go of his hands. "What are you doing here?" he asked, a confused look on his face as he saw Jason sitting in the chair. I laughed a single breathe, "What am I doing here? Rob called. I came as fast as possible." I replied. "Oh, Spencer you didn't have to do that" "I did, I would've gone crazy not knowing if you were okay" I cut him off, moving a strand of his hair out of his eyes. "Thank you" he told me, caressing my cheek. "You don't have to thank me" I replied.

Jason ended up leaving, and Toby and I went to bed, as it was almost ten, snuggled up together on the small hospital bed. "Spence?" Toby asked as he woke up. "Yeah?" I asked. "Where's your engagement ring?" he asked. SHOOT. "Um, I took it off, it was hurting my finger" I replied. He shuffled around until he got out of the bed. "No, that's not right. Your finger nails were painted a light pink at the dinner, and at home. I remember when I gave Spencer, the Oreos " he replied, walking backwards towards the door. "Toby" I said slowly, walking towards him. "You're not feeling well. Why don't you lay back down?" I asked. He didn't listen. At least I wouldn't have to act like Spencer anymore, she's awful boring. Toby ran out of the hospital room, but I caught up easily. He began dialing my mum, and my back pocket began to ring. A look of horror spread across his face. "Alex? Where is Spencer?" he asked. "Spencer, isn't the problem Toby. Stop being difficult and go lay down."

***Toby's POV***

She took my phone, and Spencer isn't safe. That's all that repeated in my head, until Aria and Ezra came in. How did they get in here? Where was Alex? "Have you seen or heard from Spencer?" I asked, trying not to say Alex in case she was outside the room. "No, she hasn't come? Jason sent us." Aria told me. "Ezra, you're in my emergency contacts, that means you can check me out. Do it." I told him. "Toby, I know it's not fun here, but the doctor recommends you stay another night." "Do it" I demanded, trying to get him to listen with an intense glare. "OK" he said before checking me out.

I didn't say anything until we got in the car. "I don't know where Spencer is, but the person who was with me last night and this morning, was not Spencer." I told them, their eyes becoming wide. "It was Alex?" They asked, I nodded my head. Once I find Spencer, we are getting married and moving out of this insane town ASAP. "Drive me home" I told Ezra, and he did so.

When I walked in, everything was the same as when I left. Chinese was on the table, the Oreos still on the couch, and the game of scramble on the coffee table.

***Spencer's POV***

I was huddled in the corner of a room, but not just any room. I was in my room, in the dollhouse. Again. I am literally so tired of this life. When is it going to end? The door opened, and the hallway was lit up like before. The only difference was the voice. Now it was Alex's EXTREMELY annoying one.I was about to turn away from the hall, not a single part of me planning on following the instructions, when I saw something move. "Who's out there?" I called. "Spencer?" a voice responded. My mom then appeared in my room. "Spencer" she breathed out, giving me a hug. "Aren't you going to listen to the instructions" she asked. She's totally new to all of this. She was clearly scared. "HAH" I responded, laughing at her, "Are you kidding me? There's no point. Nothing in here is real. It's all just to mess with your head" I responded. Her face was filled with shock. "What are you talking about?" she asked. I laughed again. "It's not real!" I shouted. "None of it is!" I yelled. She gave me a confused look, and the door slammed shut. "Have you been in here before?" she asked, almost whispering. "YES! You can thank your other insane daughter for that, bravo" I replied, clapping my hands as I stood up. I went to the bed and sat down. Mary Drake also stood up and gave me a sad look. "I'm sorry" I told her, running a hand through my hair. "The point is, you don't need to do anything you're told to because it's not real" I told her, when all of a sudden,