Chapter 1: Austin

Friday, September 15th

Austin's House

7:00 a.m

"Austin, wake up!" My mom's voice is the first thing I hear in the morning. I slowly open my eyes and see the sun shining brightly through the window and curtains. I throw the covers over my head to block the sunlight from hitting my eyes. Why can't I ever sleep without anyone trying to wake me up?!

The clock marks seven in the morning, meaning I snoozed my 6:30am alarm. After five minutes I decide to get up before anyone else decides to make this morning more painful. I get up and stretch as I make my way into the bathroom to get ready. After twenty minutes, I walk out and throw on a t-shirt on my way downstairs and to the kitchen. Mom and dad are both eating breakfast as they flip through the morning newspaper. I look around the table to see that my plate is already served.

"Thanks mom," I say as I give her a quick peck on the cheek. I walk over to my seat and stare at the pancakes that fill my plate. "Where is he?" I ask before I begin to eat. He's been in self-destructive mode ever since last year, not caring about how his actions affect others. Mom and dad are worried, but they don't want to push him too far. I personally think that he's old enough to get his act together. He did what he did and now he has to face the consequences.

"Your brother left early, he said something about it being the first Friday or whatever. I honestly don't know why it matters," mom says as she reads the newspaper in her hand. I quickly stuff my face with the rest of the pancakes and run upstairs skipping two steps at a time.

I look through my closet, trying to find a good outfit to wear. After a few minutes of looking, I finally decided to wear a white t-shirt, black jeans, and my white high top converse. I fix my hair to make it look messy, but not too messy. After I finish getting ready, I grab my bag and go back downstairs.

"Bye mom. Bye dad." I yell as I close the front door. I walk outside and see Savannah's car waiting for me.

"Hey babe," Savannah says as she leans over and kisses me.

"Ew."

Of course. Diana and Cara are Savannah's two best friends and they're always together. Savannah and I have been together for a long time, but sometimes it feels as if there are more people in this relationship. I roll my eyes and look out the window instead.

**********

Cambull High

8:00 a.m

After a few minutes of driving we finally arrive at school only to see the front lawn is crowded with people. Savannah parks the car and we all get out. She walks around the car towards me as I lean against it. I reach out and grab her waist, pulling her towards me. Taking in her appearance, I realize how much her golden blonde hair shines in the sun. She's wearing her new outfit that she spent over five hours at the mall looking for. In the end she decided on a plaid skirt, a sweater and some boots.

"Are you ready for the party later?" she asks. I nod and smile. I've learned that with Savannah, it's better to not say much. She speaks and I listen. "Great. I'll drive us, but Austin you're in charge of making sure your friends are here on time because I'm not waiting for them."

With that being said she turns around and walks away from me with Diana and Cara following closely behind her. Before she is completely out of sight, she turns around and blows me a kiss.

This is my senior year, the last year I'll walk through these halls. The sky's blue and it's warm, considering we're halfway through September. People wave to me as they walk by. I've known these people since we were in preschool and it also helps that Savannah is so insistent on always winning homecoming king and queen. You can say I'm popular, but my brother knows more people only because he had to repeat his senior year.