Austin

Thursday, December 7th

Camila's House

6:30 p.m

I grab a hold of Wilder's leg in an attempt to stop him from running away. Before I know it the sound of a gunshot rings throughout the room and I watch as Wilder drops to the ground in pain.

I turn to see Camila standing with the gun in her hands as they tremble, but her face is emotionless. That all changes when her eyes widen and her body begins to sway side to side. I quickly get up and pull her into my chest, stopping her from falling.

"I got you" I say as I hug her tightly. She grabs onto my shirt and leans against me, using me as support to stay standing.

She mumbles something under her breath.

"hm?"

"What have I done.." she says in a low voice. Her voice breaks in the end and she bursts into tears.

"It's okay" I say as I rub her head. She tightens the hug and for a moment her breathing slows down and I can feel her heart beating against my chest. We've both gone into this separate work in which what just happened never happened. It's just me and Camila. No one else.

But our moment didn't last long. I hear the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Put your hands in the air! Now!" a police officer yells as he goes to grab the gun from the floor. Camila and I let go of each other and slowly raise our hands in the air.

It all happened so fast. The only thing that seemed to happen in slow motion, was when the police walked Wilder out of the room. At first he made eye contact with me, his eyes we full of hatred and no sign of regret. Just as they were about to step out of the room, he locked eyes with Camila.

7:40 pm

The police station is a place I had only been to once, and that was because of Luke. He was always getting in trouble and I was always finding loop holes around everything just to make sure mom and dad didn't find out. The only thing I couldn't help him with finding a loop hole around was the problem he solved himself.

"Alright" the police officer says as he puts his coffee cup in the table and sits on the chair across from me. "Are you gonna tell me the truth or are you going to make it difficult like the guy with a hole in his leg?"

I nod my head and he seems to understand what I meant because he just leans back in his chair, as if waiting for me to begin.

"Me and Camila didn't do anything wrong. It was him. He was the one who has beaten her in the past. He stalked her. He kidnapped her and was torturing her in her own house." I confessed. Saying what Wilder did to Camila only brought out the anger I managed to calm not too long ago.

"Alright Austin. Your family has lived in the town for generations and has built itself quite a reputation. This is not a first for your family considering who your brother was, but it definitely is a first for you to be in here yourself."

"I know sir"

"Alright. You can go home"

I stand up from the chair. "What about-" I don't even get the chance to finished my sentence.

"I knew you weren't gonna go home without her. Go wait outside. We still have to interrogate her"

I nod my head and walk outside opening the door to find myself face to face with Camila. Her facial features seemed emotionless but staring deep into her eyes I knew she was anything but emotionless. As she walked by me, I smelled vanilla and strawberries.

8:30 pm

After what seemed like forever the door finally opened and Camila walked out, with the police officer right behind her. She lifts her eyes from the floor to meet mine and in that moment it doesn't feel as if we're surrounded by police officers. Or that we were both just interrogated about what happened earlier. In that moment it was just me and her, no one else, no problems, no fear or worries. 

I took the first step forward but Camila came running into my arms. Arm embrace is tighter than before. "Thank you" she whispers loud enough for only me to hear.

"Alright, well your guardians are here" the police officer said as he motioned for us to leave. We follow our way through the desks only to met by the one person we least expected. 

Luke. 

"Austin c'mon, I thought you were better than this?" he jokes around as he stands by the front desk. Camila lets go of my hand and runs to hug Luke. Seeing her happy and smiling after a while, makes me unconsciously smile. 

"I missed you" she says to Luke just as I get closer to them. 

"I missed you too Cami"

Luke and Camila let go of each other and he turns to face me. "Are you all okay?" he asks with concern and worry clearly evident on his face. 

"Yeah. We're good, but aren't you suppose to be with-" I don't even get to finish asking him the question before I see Thalia walk into the room with a baby in her arms. 

"Right. Thalia this is Camila, Camila this is Thalia" he introduces them two. Camila's smile goes away and she gets serious. The silence is neutral, but it slowly turns awkward the longer it lasts. 

"Hi Cami" Thalia says as she stretches a hand forward to Camila. The silence lasts for a few seconds before Camila bursts out laughing. Luke and Thalia seem confused and I couldn't help but laugh along. 

"What's so funny?" Luke asks just ask confused as Thalia as she keeps her hand stretched out. 

"I'm so sorry. Hi Thalia" Camila says as she accepts the handshake. 

"Oh. I get it" Thalia says before she bursts out laughing as well. 

"Seriously! Whats so funny?!" Luke yells out loud, clearly losing his patience with all of us. "Fine don't tell me. Anyways, you two can tell me every single little detail of what happened on the way home" he says as he looks between me and Camila. 

It's all finally going to get better. 

_________

Sorry about the long wait. The next chapter shall be the last one.