Chapter Eighteen: Stay Alive

Tyler leaned onto Josh's shoulder, the sunset burning through his eyes. Josh nudged Tyler's head around, the two boys sitting on top on the treehouse, watching the sun fade away through the trees.

"I'm glad you're okay, again." Tyler muttered.

"Me too," Josh agreed.

A small wind picked up, making it clear it was December. The boys huddled closer together for warmth.

"Tyler?"

"Mhm?"

"You know, all my life, I've wanted to help someone instead of them going though life alone." Josh started. "I wanted to make someone believe they were lovely, not just hear it. If you say that you're friendly, they might not believe you. But I made you believe that your life was worth it, and mine too. I made you believe you are lovely. And that's all I've ever wanted."

Tyler nodded against Josh.

"I'm happy you're alive." Josh decided. "If you were dead, I might be too."

"I'm glad I stayed alive." Tyler agreed.

"Hashtag, Stay Alive," Josh giggled.

He made a small hashtag with his fingers, but forget one finger, so instead of #, he made a |-/ motion.

"Haha," Tyler laughed, though he did the same thing. "That can be out motto, stay alive."

"Stay alive for me." Josh snickered.

"Yeah, don't worry." Tyler told him. "I will."

He turned to Josh, his face so calm and peaceful.

Slowly, Tyler cupped Josh's chin, making Josh face him. Grinning, Josh reached up, grabbing Tyler's hand in his, and leaned in, kissing him. The sunset behind them captured them, making the scene so perfect it was almost like it was in a book.

And with that, with all the freedom and happiness Tyler had, he no longer felt like his bedroom was way too small, and he never minded the cobwebs or flies again. Hey we're actually quite nice. Like an extra decoration.

"I love you, Josh,"

"I love you too, Ty."