Chapter 26

I walked inside the building that's seen as hell for students. Sighing, I ran a hand through my messy hair and continue walking towards my locker.

"Look who's back." I turn to my right and saw Maritza, cheer's team captain. She was leaning against the creme color locker that was next to mine. "You know, if you didn't want to join cheer you should've told us instead of leaving."

I chuckled and continue to look for my math book since today we'll be returning them. "That's not why I left."

Maritza let out a laugh and stood straight. "I know. I was just messing with you." She said smiling. I looked at her and furrowed my eyebrows at her. Why is she here then?

"I don't want to sound mean, but why are you here anyways?" I asked.

"Just wanted to congratulate you on your job. Also, this is our last week as being high school students." She simply said. "I always wanted to talk to you but I was so intimidated by you."

My eyes slightly widen. Cheer's team captain, intimidated by my irrelevant self? How? Why? Is it because every time I pass through the hallway, I seem like I rather get ran over by a bus than be here? Is it my bitch face?

"Oh." I managed to say and closed my locker while holding my book on my left arm.

"Well, I have to go. Good luck with everything. See you next week at graduation practice." She said before walking away towards her boyfriend.

"Weird right?" Mario asked as we both stood there staring at Maritza and her boyfriend. I looked at Mario and furrowed my eyebrows.

"What's weird?"

"That she was always afraid to approach you."

"Were you listening?" He smirked and then shrugged. I rolled my eyes and dragged him to the library to drop our math books.

Of course the line was long since every senior was in there dropping all their books. I looked around and noticed students in their own group sitting by the computers or wooden tables.

"Hey guys." Linda said. She smiled and carried three books. Mario stared at her and instead of helping her, he looked away. I rolled my eyes and took a book from her. "Thanks."

"You're not cutting, Linda." Mario said while looking ahead. He seemed annoyed and bothered. I know he dislikes her but he always tries to hide it. Did something happen while I was gone?

Linda's smile disappeared and she looked down. She reached out and grabbed her book from me. Before she could turn and go at the end of the line, I grabbed her arm. "Cut in front of me."

She looked at me then back at Mario who glared. "I'll go at the back." She whispered. I shook my head and grabbed the book again. She gave up and cut in front of me.

"Why did you let her cut?" Mario whispered through gritted teeth. I looked at him in disbelief. What's gotten into him?

"Because she's my friend."

He rolled his eyes and looked away. I turn back around and furrowed my eyebrows. Now I'm in a bad mood.

——————

"What's wrong with you?" I asked Mario as we got out of the library. He continue to walk as I stood there confused. "Mario!"

"What!" He shouted and turn to look at me.

"Look, I just came back from a tiring tour. I have to deal with finals so please stop giving me an attitude." I spat. He sighed and walked towards me.

"I don't like Linda. Drop her." He said looking into my eyes. His eyes said it all, he was hurt and angry.

"Why?"

"Because she spread rumors about you! That's why. She's not a friend." He said frustrated.

"What?"

"She told the whole school you were fucking all of the cnco guys. That you were part of some groupie." My eyes widen as those words escaped his mouth. "And of course people believed it because of their Snapchat stories. You were always with them."

"B-but we made up." I whispered. In that moment everything clicked. It made sense why she never texted me or called me.

I didn't feel my eyes get watery, I felt my blood boil. Before I could do anything, the bell rang indicating we had five minutes to get to first period.

———————–

"Hey Yadira. What's up?" Linda said as she jogged towards me. I felt my anger building up as she got closer to me. Without thinking twice, I slapped her. She hold her cheek and looked up at me. "What the hell!"

"That's what happens to backstabbing bitches." I spat. She looked at me confused but then her face soften.

"It's what you deserve." She smirked.

"For what? I've always been there for you!" I shouted. People walked towards their cars but stared waiting for us to break into a fight. But that's not going to happen, I'm seven days away from graduating.

"You knew I liked Joel." She said as she stopped holding her cheek that was red. "You continue to flirt with him in front of me."

I rolled my eyes. "He's my best friend. Way before you, I wasn't going to distance myself."

"What about girl code?" She said raising her voice at me.

"You know what, fuck you. I'm not going to argue with you. There's no point in fighting about a guy."

She chuckled. "You're hurt he doesn't love you back?"

I clenched my jaw and hold in my anger. Don't fight Yadira. It's pointless.

"Yeah totally. That's why we kissed." I said before walking away. I felt everyone who was in the parking lot, staring but I ignored it.

I walked towards Mario's car and waited for him. Thankfully he didn't take long and got here quickly.

"What happened?" He asked taking his keys out.

"I don't want to talk about it." I said and got inside his low rider.

The ride to my house seems long maybe due to the fact that I haven't gone to school for always a month.

We got off and walked inside my house. I noticed my parents were gone, the usual. I plopped myself on the couch and threw my bag on the floor. Mario looked at the floor then back at me.

"What?"

"You've changed."

"How?"

"You seem a little more," He stopped to think. "Healthier?"

"What do you mean?"

He shook his head. "Never mind. You won't get it but one day you will." And with that he walked to my kitchen to look for food.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish to be on tour with the guys than be here. I then remember I still had my pass to backstage.

Maybe I'll surprise them at the LA show......

——————————–
Published: July 2 2017

Thank you for the 4k reads!
-JoelPxmentel

Word count: 1152