Chapter 22

"This opportunity was given for a reason."

Mario's words repeated in my mind over and over as I stare at the ground. I felt someone sit down but I didn't bother to see who.

"Ya están listos?" Renato asked as everyone settled in. We all nodded and the driver started the engine. I looked to my left and saw Zabdiel sitting next to me.

I shift in my seat and cleared my throat trying to catch his attention. He looked at me and half smiled. "Qué pasa?"

"Necesito tu consejo." I whispered as everyone laughed and chatted. Zabdiel shifted in his seat to look at me more clearly. He nodded for me to continue. He looked so serious yet worried.

I looked around and noticed that the back of the bus was empty. "A que ir allá." I said signaling the back. He nodded and we both walked to the back of the bus.

He slid the door behind him for more privacy. We both sat down and I took in a deep breathe. Where do I start?

"Creo que es tiempo de decirte." I said as he stare into my eyes waiting for me to continue.

. . . . .

I waited impatiently for Joel to burst out the door with Patty. I was in the crowd along with his cousins waiting eagerly. His cousins hold their phone closely ready to record the moment he walks in.

We heard the car door slam and everyone got excited and let out squeals. I bit my lower lip to hold in my excitement.

The door open and revealed a shocked Joel as we all shouted his name. The whole group crowded him as they took turns to hug him.

After hugging his whole family, he noticed me. There was no words to describe what I felt in that moment. The butterflies in my stomach erupt and my heart beat faster.

I felt everyone's eyes on us. It felt like a movie. Only us two and everyone else was blurred out. He smiled and brought me into a hug. "You've changed a lot." He whispered in my ear. Everyone awwed making me blush.

I pulled back and looked at him. "You too. I didn't recognize you." I joked. He chuckled and looked around. His smile never leaving his face.

His family bombarded him with questions about the competition as he sat down to eat. I sat down in the couch with his cousins as we listen carefully to his stories.

"Y cuando te vas para Nueva York?" Asked one of his uncles referring to their New Years performance. My smile faded as I was brought back to reality.

"El 28 de diciembre." He spoke as he took a bite of his tacos. I half smiled but that wasn't enough since Liz realize my sudden mood.

"Are you okay?" She whispered. I looked at her and nodded. She nodded as well and we listen to what Patty talked about.

After Joel ate and took pictures with his family, he sat down next to me. Yo siendo la egoísta que soy, i was upset although I tried my hardest to be happy for him.

I was happy but I couldn't help think that our friendship will fall apart. We're going to lose communication due to him traveling everyday. I felt a bang in my heart at the thought not being able to be with him.

"Are you okay?" He asked me worriedly. I looked up at him and nodded. I moved to my right leaving a gap between us.

'Might as well end it here.' I thought to myself.

He was laughing and catching up with his cousins but once in a while he'll turn to look at me. I'll fake a smile and make it seem like I was listening to what his girl cousins were saying.

"Hopefully I can get you to join me on tour." He said getting my attention. I looked at him and then ignored him.

I could feel his eyes staring at me. There was no need to turn to know he was upset and confused.

"Yadira, what's wrong?" He asked but I didn't turn to look at him. I continue to ignore him. I'll probably regret this but it's what's best for me. I need to move on from him. He'll have many girls running after him and will forget about me. Plus, he already replaced me with someone–Yoandri.

I felt him get up and head outside. I felt guilt taking over my body but brushed it off.

. . . . .

"Eso pasó después que ganó?" Zabdiel asked me. I nodded and looked down embarrassed. Now that I'm telling the story for the 4th time, I realized how selfish i was. How stupid I was for being so goddamn afraid. Pinche sentimientos.

"Fui una pendeja." I whispered to myself but Zabdiel still heard.

"No pienses así." Zabdiel said making me look up at him again. "No querías que tu relación terminara mal."

"Zab, todavía pasó. Mira donde Joel y yo estamos. Nos odiamos." I cut him off. I ran a hand through my hair and sighed.

He shook his head. "No se odian. Se aman y se nota." I looked at him confused he just chuckled. "No soy cupido pero sé cuando personas se aman."

"Él no me-"

"Yadira, yo veo como te mira. Como tú lo miras, es igual a como él te ve." I stayed quiet. I never caught him staring though. "No quiero ser malo contigo pero tu eres la que está causando dolor a Joel y a ti misma. No quieres dejar el pasado."

"Zab, lo que dijo en esa entrevista dolió. Tu estabas ahí. Tu sabes."

He nodded. "Pero tu sabes que el no quiso pero no tenía opción."

I let his word sink in. Fuck why can't I let go of that stupid past? Why am I hurting so much?

"Porque estás enamorada de él y escuchar palabras así, salir de alguien que significa demasiado para ti, duele." Zabdiel said half smiling.

"Estaba pensando en alta voz verdad?" I asked making him laugh.

"Deja que el tiempo te sane. De verdad no piensas que este trabajo que te ofreció Ricky no es coincidencia?" He asked.

I rolled my eyes and groaned. "Eres igualito a mi amigo Mario. El me dijo lo mismo."

He chuckled. "Ves? Es tu oportunidad de arreglar las cosas."

I looked at Zabdiel and thought about everything. I nodded and hugged him. "Gracias Zab."

––––––––––––
Published: June 17 2017

Another update because why not? :)

-JoelPxmentel

Word count: 1093