Part 3- Family

I put the latch on the door with a sigh. Maybe I'm just not meant to have friends? I never used to be this way, I remember a time when I  loved  life and life loved me. Sure home had always been a bit rocky with an unstable mother and an absent father, but I always had my sister.

I tear slips from my eye as I remember what it used to be like. But now that's all gone. Any chance of that life returning vanished months ago. My hopes to be with my sister again turned to dust as I remember her screams. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

I rest against the counter in the kitchen, mindlessly rummaging through the boxes I had yet to unpack. My mind blank as I unpack the boxes for the living room until my stomach churns when my hand touches  the wooden frame. I quickly take out the photo of me and my nephew, putting it on the highest shelf so it's out of my reach and sort out the next few things. I know it's my own fault and that's why I'm choosing to move on. I've lost too many months to self loathing. I will get my fresh start.

***
Mornings were never my thing. My body never adjusted its own biological clock, too used to my sister waking me up at 9.30 every day with a tea. How I miss those mornings.

Swinging my legs off the bed I make my way to the shower. Today I would get a job. I knew it wouldn't be long until my parents realised I brought an apartment with their money to which I'd they would then cut off my funds. I needed to provide for myself- somehow. I wasn't particularly clever and that's where I had trouble deciding which area of work was best to embark on. Maybe you should just get several low paid jobs? There's little chance you'd get a high paying job here.

I thought it best to go for the low skilled jobs, and that's how I found myself handing over my CV to several coffee shops and boutiques, all promising to get back to me soon.

It began to rain on my return to my apartment so I pulled up my hood to prevent it getting to my hair. Running through the downstairs lobby I instantly regret pulling my hood up as I bump into a hard figure. And just my luck, it's creepy old Henry.

"Ayyy my lady! Knew you'd come round soon enough" his voice alone makes me want to puke. This is further encouraged when I feel his arms wrap around my waist, tightening and locking me in.

"Please get off of me now. Stop touching me now. NOW!" My voice is rushed but I know he heard. Yet he doesn't move.

"Nah I know you want me" his hands tighten. "It's only inevitable" I feel his breath touch my cheek and I begin to gag. This is not happening.

I start to shove and grunt and wine. But he still doesn't move.

"Oi! Scandal. Get off of her now" a gruff voice shouts.

I look across to the lobby door to see grumpy old fart coming in from the rain. "Don't you dare touch this young lady again you hear me assbutt" is finger points at Henry. A very threatening finger.

Assbutt?! What in the world? Never the less I am thankful for his arrival once I feel Henry unlatch his arms from my waist whilst grumbling a "whatever" as he returns to his apartment, slamming the door and causing me to jump.

I spin around facing Mr Selley with wide, grateful eyes. " thank you so so much! I was so... so scared-" my eyes begin to water and I tilt my head up to try and gain control of my body. The moment begins to get awkward and I try to find some sort of excuse or distraction to take the attention away from my falling tears. It is then that I notice him struggling to carry a box of kitchen appliances, one hand hoisting it agains the wall whilst the other trying to steady himself.