Part 4- Secret

It has now become a morning routine to go round to apartment 2D at 9.30am every morning. I would knock on the door, hopeful that he will have finally ditched the blue dressing gown and every morning I would be disappointed. He said he didn't see the point in dressing up for the obnoxious people of London, they didn't deserve his efforts, and I would never fight him on it. I myself barley dressed up for our morning activity, only in activewear. However, the most active I would ever be was if I was running from the swans down at the lake. We would then say our goodbyes and I would go back and get changed for my ever so talented job as a barista at costa whilst he would go back to being a grumpy old fart. My shift would then end at  2pm to which i'd walk down the street to my other very talented job working in a clothing boutique.

Today started off no differently, I walked over and knocked on 2D's door at exactly 9.30. However, today I was greeted by a rather different dressed Mr Selley with a wide smile on his face. He was only wearing a sweater and jeans, but still, it was something.

"Evelyn my dear!" He welcomes me with open arms. Well this is weird. "Come in! Come in! look who's here-Anne!" and at this he almost does a happy dance causing my heart to squeeze.

I look over to see a head of dark hair. A women leans against the kitchen counter smiling at our encounter. I immediately know she must be Mr Selley's daughter- the one who is busy a lot.

"Hi Anne, I'm Evelyn from down the hall. Its so lovely to meet you" I extend my hand, offering for her to shake it but instead she pulls me in for a bone crushing hug.

"I hear you've been helping him out with his hip. Thank you so much, he's so stubborn these days its hard to get him to do anything out of the apartment since Maggie past. He barely ever leaves." I hear him grumble behind us but I ignore his poor attitude like always.

"Oh no problem its been nice to see the area! I only moved a few weeks ago so it was just what i needed" I shuffle from foot to foot, not too sure if we will still be going on our morning walk. "Well anyways, I best be going! Didn't realise you'd be having company today."

"Nonsense! Stay stay! I was just helping Brian set up the kitchen with his new appliances. You can help out". We tried out his new mixer making a peculiar looking smoothie that I sipped and then discreetly poured away. Anne constantly asks questions, putting me on edge. Its been a while since i've had any form of mother figure. She made plans to join us on our morning walk and promised we could go out to lunch the next day. I started to wonder if I had the words 'lonely child in need of care' written all over me. She discusses her children vaguely and explains how her son travels a lot and how her daughter is very busy so they don't have time to visit Brian. I sensed a hint of guilt from her children's lack of contact but it was quickly brushed aside.

"So what about your family then? How far from London are they?" She asks, instantly making me stiffen.

"Umm, well." I stammer, not sure what is the best way to go about this. I needed her to stop asking questions immediately. "They umm, well, they're dead." I half lie. They are dead- dead to me. My voice catches in my throat as I see her head jerk towards me. I am suddenly encased in her arms as she comforts me and I don't even have time to realise tears are falling from my eyes. Mr Selley at some point managed to disappear and avoid this awkward encounter and so me and Anne are left sobbing away. I feel guilty for making her pity me over something that isn't even true but I can't have her asking any questions about my family.

No one here can find out what I did.

***

Harry is introduced in the next chapter!
Will post next chapter when this gets up to 10 reads ♥️