Chapter 5

Gene was suspicious about Zane, although he doesn't know Zane personally, it was quite weird that Zane didn't complain about being partnered up with Gene. He also seemed less uptight, like if all of his emotions have been drained.

Maybe he's just too tired to even think properly...

Gene thought but shrugs it off and continues to wash the dishes. He heard Zane walking out of the storage room and turns to see Zane carrying the first aid kit, his blood dripping from his hand but Zane couldn't care any less. Zane walks out of the kitchen and enters the employees, just then Aphmau walks in.

"We're opening now, are you done?" Aphmau asks, turning to Gene and realizing Zane wasn't there. "Uhh, almost," Gene answers, washing a mug, "Also, Zane had a little accident, he's in the bathroom," Gene adds, turning away from Aphmau who gave a concerned expression.

"What happened? Is he alright?" Aphmau asks, "He just accidentally cut himself when washing a knife. He should be fine, he took the first aid kit to the bathroom." Gene answers, "Also, there are small drops of blood on the floor." he adds, pointing towards the red stains on the black and white checkered floor.

"Alright, I'll check on him. Can you clean up the blood please?" Aphmau says, but before Gene could answer, Aphmau already left the kitchen. Gene makes a 'tsk' noise in annoyance. Gene grabs a paper towel and walks towards the blood, sitting on his knees to clean it up.

"Why should I clean up Zane's messes..." Gene whispers to himself and finishes cleaning the blood, throwing away the blood-stained paper towel and going back to finish up the dishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zane washes his blood-stained hand, watching again the blood being drained down the sink, mixing in with the water changing its clear color to a transparent red. Zane jumps when hearing the bathroom door open, turning to see Aphmau with a worried expression.

"Zane are you alright?" Aphmau asks, walking up to Zane, "Gene told me what happened." Aphmau looks down at Zane's wounded hand, gasping seeing how big the cut was, but luckily it wasn't deep. The cut was on Zane's right hand, having to roll up his sleeves to wash off the blood, but luckily the cuts Zane made on his wrist were on his left arm.

"Here, let me help," Aphmau suggests and turns off the sink, grabbing the first aid kit and pulling out some tissues, helping Zane dry his hand. Aphmau then grabs the waterproof roll of white bandages and starts wrapping it around Zane's hand. "Maybe you should take a break today," Aphmau suggests but Zane shakes his hand.

"Zane, you look exhausted and you just got injured. You cannot work under these conditions." Aphmau states, packing up the first aid kit and washing off the blood-stains on the white box. Zane doesn't reply, giving Aphmau the hint that he's not gonna take a break.

Aphmau sighs in defeat, knowing how stubborn Zane could be. "Alright, but just continue washing dishes and taking orders, just take it easy." Aphmau pleas, Zane nods, not feeling he deserved this treatment as they both exit the bathroom. Aphmau goes up to Aaron, telling him the situation while Zane goes back to the kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After work, Zane stayed in the cafe, along with Gene, having to clean up and close. Zane cleaned the kitchen counters when a sudden loud crashing noise came from the storage room. Zane turns to see Gene looking around, accidentally dropping the broom and mop as he seemed upset.

"Where's the fuck is that damm dustpan!!" Gene yells in rage, Zane looks over at the stove and sees the dustpan sitting there. Zane grabs the dustpan and walks up to Gene, tapping him on the shoulder as Gene turns around, giving an annoyed expression.